1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Press Democrat is seeking a Sports Page and Graphic Designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PD Human Resources, Jan 13, 2016.

1. PD Human Resources

PD Human Resources New Member

The Press Democrat is looking for a strong graphic and page designer who can make our journalism sing in print and online. The candidate must be an expert designing pages and graphics and presenting our articles, photos and videos across print, desktop and mobile platforms.

This position will collaborate with reporters, editors and our presentation desk to produce eye-catching layouts and graphics. Copy editing skills and knowledge of Associated Press style are desired, but we are willing to consider a strong designer with print and online experience. A good bulk of this designer’s work will involve producing our sports section. Applicants need not be sports junkies, but the ability to understand and converse in sports’ particular idioms is preferred.

This is not a print-only position, as we’re in the process of better integrating our copy desk and online producers into one work group that optimizes our award-winning journalism for multiple platforms.

The ideal candidate will be expected to:

· Design pages using an Adobe InDesign-based content management system.

· Edit articles for content, clarity, grammar and length on deadline.

· Write headlines and photo captions.

· Optimize content for display online, using a content management system that is integrated with the software used to produce the next day’s newspaper.

· Manage social media accounts, creating lively, engaging posts that catch readers’ attention.

Job requirements include:

· Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and InCopy; functional knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator, as well as experience using a variety of social media platforms.

· Strong judgment in selecting articles that appeal to print and online audiences.

· Bachelor’s degree preferred.

Data analysis, multimedia skills and the ability to speak Spanish are pluses. This position will involve night and weekend work. It is based in Santa Rosa, Calif., in Sonoma County. We’re an hour north of San Francisco in the heart of scenic Wine Country. Locally owned, we’re regularly recognized as one of California’s top newspapers. Our signature coverage areas reflect our community’s passions and interests, including watchdog reporting; food, wine and craft beer; sports and outdoor recreation.

The Press Democrat values the contribution of its employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident insurance and paid time off. Additionally, we are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing. Some of the above positions require a valid California State Driver’s License, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. See job description for details.

To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume and up to six samples of your best design work to hr@pressdemocrat.com and put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.

The Press Democrat is an Equal Opportunity Employer

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Always knew it was a liberal media.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good part of the country and a desk job at an actual newspaper, rather than a hub. And solid local ownership.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Would sure help if the city was in the title ... or at least in the lede.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

It's near Lake Tahoe

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Aren't we all?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I can be there in 15 minutes! And HH is right. I still have no idea where this job is.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A little buried, but it's in there.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry. Missed that. Not that I'm looking to move anyway, but I don't understand when posts don't immediately say where the job is. Kind of the most important thing, I would think.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Cost of living not as horrible as I would have thought. Would still require a salary I'm 99 percent sure they're not paying to be worth it, however.

11. bevo

bevo Member

And how long until a Gannett or Gatehouse comes along and sends the job to a hub?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's locally owned by some heavy hitters. Sure they could sell it, but why buy it in the first place?

Draft saved Draft deleted