1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student Looking to Interview a Sports Journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Collin H, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Collin H

Collin H New Member

Hey everyone, my name is Collin, I am new to this community and I come here because I am doing a career research project for my senior Language Arts class. I was wondering if there were any sports journalists in this community that make a decent amount of money writing about sports, and if I could possibly e-mail you and ask you a few questions for my essay project.

If you or anyone you know would possibly be able to help me out, please let me know. Any type of help would be greatly appreciated! (I apologize in advance if this type of stuff is not allowed on this forum)

THANKS!:)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's "a decent amount of money?"

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

More than you make.

Tweener and Ace like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't get rich until I went news-side.

Also: who.

#justgettingitoutoftheway

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Amen, MC. I read a novel recently that misused "that" throughout.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"...make a decent amount of money."

Sorry, I just came back from a five-minute laughing jag. One of the things that galls me so much about the $15 an hour minimum wage movement is that it took me a decade in the business to reach that point and I'm not likely to get much more any time soon.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Someone gonna help the kid out? I would, but I'm and editor. Collin, PM me if you aren't specifically looking for a writer.

8. Collin H

Collin H New Member

I say that in the sense that I would like to interview someone who does this as a side job or even main job. Not disclosing the opportunity to talk to a person that does it for minimum wage by any means. I apologize if I offended you.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thankfully, $15 an hour goes pretty far in my state. It's well above minimum wage. And I do this as a "main job," as do most of the people on this board.
    My comment references the fact that hardly anyone in this business is getting rich. Making a living, yes. Making "decent money" or getting rich? No. It's not uncommon for starting salaries for rookie reporters at smaller papers to be around $25,000 a year, and if you adjust for cost of living it's probably in that neighborhood at a lot of bigger ones as well.
    I feel like I am making decent money, finally, but I'm working the equivalent of a part-time job in overtime (10-20 hours a week) to do it and was fortunate to have a few other things fall my way both before and after the industry started to crater. A lot of others haven't been that lucky.

10. Collin H

Collin H New Member

Well, when I said decent money, I actually was thinking just "enough to support a good healthy lifestyle" I understand that the odds of getting "rich" off of this job may be minuscule. Sorry again for not clarifying what I meant when I said "decent money". This would be my dream job though, and I am not really worried about the money involved, as long as I can make a living off of it, I would love to have this as a profession! Thank you for your reply/ input Batman!

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Some of us could be a decent source of what not to do :)

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bonus points for spelling minuscule correctly! Minus-1 if you had to look it up first!

Draft saved Draft deleted