1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cook County Jail on lockdown after 18 percent of shift does not show up for work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 12, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When I saw the headline I assumed this was part of some union action, but apparently it's not:

Cook County Jail was placed on lockdown Tuesday, restricting the movement of inmates, after 18 percent of workers on the day shift did not make it to work, officials said.

The 142 correctional officers gave reasons ranging from illness and family issues to the weather for not showing up for the 7 a.m.-to-3 p.m. shift, according to Cara Smith, a spokeswoman for the Cook County sheriff's office.

Smith said jail officials attempt to "avoid lockdowns at all costs," but they are not uncommon because of understaffed shifts. “I would say it happens maybe once a month, maybe more frequently,’’ she said.

On an average Tuesday first shift, about 83 of 794 workers take the day off, Smith said.

"They have lives and kids like the rest of us do,’’ Smith said. “Our staff have very difficult jobs working at the jail. It’s a delicate balance."

The correctional officers are assigned across all areas of the 96 acres of the jail compound, working on tiers, in transportation and on electronic monitoring, Smith said. The lockdown affects all 10 divisions of the jail, which holds about 8,500 inmates. Division 9, the primary maximum-security unit, holds 973 detainees.

Cook County Jail on lockdown after 18 percent of shift does not show up for work

Where else but in a public sector, union job would 18% of the workforce not show up for work?

It's cold, and it snowed a little bit last night, but nothing that should prevent anyone from getting to work.

The fact that absentee rate for a normal Tuesday morning shift is over 10% is crazy too, as is the fact that the jail can't operate normally once a month or more due to absenteeism.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought this happened last year, too, the morning after another big sporting event.

3. YankeeFan

Oh shit. It didn't even occur to me that folks are just tired from staying up to watch the game.

But, if there's a precedent for that, you compensate by over scheduling -- unless they're not allowed to under the contract.

It's just completely unprofessional. If you want the day off, take a personal/vacation day ahead of time.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a function of the (private sector) jobs I've been in, but two out of 10 people not coming to the work site for one reason or another doesn't seem all that unusual. If it happened every day, yes; but as a one-day blip, fairly understandable. I wonder what the attendance rate is in the schools today and if there's a cold/flu strain going around.

It could be some coordinated job action and it could be sleeping off the hangover from the minor league football game played last night -- would that even rate in Chicago, Dick? -- but the number itself is not outlandish.

5. YankeeFan

In a small group, 20% not showing up could happen. With a small sample size, some bad weather, or a flu breakout could be in play, or just a random happenstance.

But, this is a workforce of of nearly 800 people. That's not a blip. A lot of folks have to take the day off.

That the number is high enough for operations to be altered "maybe once a month, maybe more frequently" indicates it's a big, ongoing problem.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, I agree with your last point. There's probably something going on.

We're going to have to wait for John Roberts to issue the smackdown.

7. YankeeFan

I like the vagueness in answer too.

That's like telling your significant other that you've slept with around a handful of people, maybe more. I'm not sure.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a big, ongoing local problem. Anyone else really care?

9. YankeeFan

What's the absenteeism rate at your local jail?

Let's localize this story folks!

As an aside, how often do folks here call in sick?

Even a 10% rate would mean taking a sick day every two weeks. That's insane.

In my last real job, I didn't take an unscheduled day off in the five years I was there.

In the current job, I've taken one sick day in 10 years.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We'll get right on it, chief.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What big event? There was only a minor league football game on last night.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

How many called in because they're in jail?

Draft saved Draft deleted