1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter: Introduction to Sports Reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jan 11, 2016.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"You can never know too much about the intricacies of a sport that you’re covering. Your knowledge of the details will improve your coverage of any sports event. Here are several ways to get up to speed on the basics."

http://www.poynter.org/2016/introduction-to-sports-reporting/391160/

I, for one, look forward to more installments of the academic approach to sports coverage. The phone lines are open. Discuss.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Your colleagues might have some tricks or advice they can share to make your first assignments easier. They might share a tradition a team has before they get on the field.

Hey kid, be sure to talk to the starting pitcher before the game. He'll be eager to discuss strategy for the night.

BrendaStarr likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

juju. Find out what causes bad juju.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Does it cover that all-important topic -- how to cost a kid a scholarship? :)

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Make every question an imperative statement by starting with "Talk about..."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those are good, basic suggestions. I bet the course is helpful.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

FTFY

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Get the rules from the league. Leagues at all levels will try to help reporters and the public better understand their sport.

Yes, especially your local Little League.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Something like this could be theoretically useful for news siders at small papers that have to fill in on football Fridays. That's the nicest thing I can think of to say.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't care how much some dude can teach me about pickleball, the fastest growing sport in America I'm told, we're not covering it any more than we would beer league softball.

Draft saved Draft deleted