1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 short films

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The first one debuted today. I expect there will be a lot more talk here later in the week when the "Going Broke" one comes out, but this one -- about Arnold Schwarzenegger's time in the Austrian army and how he slipped over the fence in the middle of the night to catch a train to Germany so he could win a junior body building competition -- is pretty excellent. Worth 10 minutes.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8424161/the-first-short-new-30-30-documentary-series

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

12 minutes ... you mislead me

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, he didn't say the film was 10 minutes, only that it was worth 10 minutes.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

But it was worth all 12 minutes.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. There's a 30 for 30 on the Bills' Super Bowl runs. It's an hour and 42 minutes long.

Geez.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I thought the original premise for the 30 for 30 title was because there were 30 pieces celebrating ESPN's 30th anniversary

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it did so well, it became a brand for ESPN. They wanted to make additional films since most of the original 30 did well, considered coming up with some other name for the line of new films, and decided to stick with the 30 for 30 brand.

Of all the crazy things ESPN does, this made sense to me because the 30 for 30 denotes "quality" to me, unlike all their talking head crap.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is correct. But the series was so good, they've renewed it twice with 30 more episodes each time. The name doesn't fit what they've done with the series, but it's synonymous with the in-depth, documentary style viewers are accustomed to.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Watching this now and keep noticing Jim Kelly's Continental Airlines trucker cap from back in the day. Wonder if that was a YankeeFan joint?

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Didn't they try to make it ESPN Films instead and it fucked with everybody's DVRs so they went back to 30 for 30?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

the series is ok. Mostly it's a good moneymaker and good programming.

Draft saved Draft deleted