1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLive announces "restructuring"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Anna Clark's article is a good (though depressing) read, dixie ... thanks for the link.

Among the many head-scratchers in MLive's moves toward a "statewide" perspective is the idea that readers in, say, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor aren't different from each other and will accept the same coverage, whether online or in print. That's not the way I remember Michigan.

4. bevo

bevo Member

One of the Tigers beat writers was among those cut. James Schmehl.

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

It's Advance Media, so run and run fast. These guys are trying to be a digital-first company and don't have a clue. They are bleeding money because they have trashed their print products in favor of online and the money is not the same. They will forever be cutting staff. If you are with them keep your head on a swivel and if you have somewhere else to be be there.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It reads like "sponsored content" will now be more of a priority.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Is there management at papers with only a local or regional audience that have a clue and can keep ad revenue stable?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's POS organization, Advance. Sorry if you love it.

Soon enough, it'll be Michigan FB coverage (which is very good, still) and a Michigan version of Thrillist.

9. bevo

bevo Member

Can't speak for the whole company, but one Michigan paper has had extremely low turnover on the editorial side going back for as long as I can remember. So it must have been a good place to work at one time. Now it's just like everyone else, cut cut cut.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back when it was the Booth Newspapers chain, they had a real good rep regionally, especially in comparison to Gannett, which owned many semi-competing Michigan dailies. Some years ago, I applied for jobs at both chains a year or so apart and the Booth package blew the Gannett deal out of the water. The Gannett editors tried to big-deal it, floating the idea that a gig at a Gannett rag was your quick ticket to USA Today (I knew people in a position to know, who assured me that was absolute bullshit).

But that was all a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Draft saved Draft deleted