1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports journalism in 2016

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jan 7, 2016.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there. In a story for Poynter.org, sports media reporter Ed Sherman says these will be the five biggest sports journalism stories to watch this year:

• The debut (finally) of ESPN's The Undefeated
    • What's next for Bill Simmons
    • Yahoo Sports launching The Vertical (NBA site)
    • The Rio Olympics — or, more specifically, who goes and who doesn't
    • More long-time sportswriters leaving the business

http://www.poynter.org/2016/these-will-be-the-5-biggest-sports-journalism-stories-in-2016/390534/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty dismal year then.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No kidding. But how many sports journalism stories have ever been predicted in advance?

At least one -- who goes and doesn't go to Rio -- is barely of interest to journalists anymore, let alone of interest to observers.

Ace likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't care
    Don't I already know? HBO, new podcast network, ???
    Don't care
    Really don't care
    Care, but it's not really a "story to watch." It's just the biz nowadays.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Will the first story on "The Undefeated" be a review of the Guns 'N Roses album "Chinese Democracy?"

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Regarding Sherman's 5th point, what he could have said was, What metro daily will shutter its sports department in 2016? He seems to be hinting at that with this quote:

I wish I was joking about this. Take a look at any 100K and up metro paper and tell me what section is wide-open, ad-wise. Yes, the entire paper appears that way some days of the week, but the sports section looks like that EVERY day.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We all know some dope sportswriter is going to tweet about the size of a sideline reporter's boobs. That story will make the Top 10.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Vertical and The Undefeated look interesting, in part because I'm curious to see if The Vertical is basically like Woj's work, which is to act as a in-house league reporter for transactions and a surrogate for the guys he buddies up to, or if it really tries to represent basketball and show favor wherever the game is being played well and right. Woj is a classic and perhaps ultimate insider, which is to say I trust his work as far as it goes, which generally is as far as the interest of the agent talking to him or Woj's own self-interest in maintaining relationships goes. I'm curious to see if there are larger truths, if Woj is capable of those, being that it may scald, to some degree NBA hedge funders he takes care of.

I mean, Bill Simmons, yeah, good, I'll just have to see the content. If it's just "Bill Simmons on this platform over here, with some people" then it doesn't really shift the conversation the way Grantland did, even though it wasn't very good.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I thought it was rather remarkable when Ed predicted Erin Andrews would be filmed through a peep hole while nude in her hotel room in 2008.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted