1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Galloway Calls it Quits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Padre likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Randy is one of the good guys.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I lived in Dallas-Fort Worth at a time when Blackie Sherrod ruled the roost at the Morning News and Skip Bayless was the superstar at the Times Herald, but I especially looked forward to Galloway's columns (then in the Morning News).

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good last column, too. Nice to see that he didn't just do the standard farewell tour.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He'd been mailing it in for a long, long time. It was a formula: Jerry Jones is stupid, Jon Daniels is evil, Nolan Ryan's balls sweat the dew of heaven, etc., etc. I wasn't a reader of his in his heyday, but he was a poor excuse for a big-city columnist these last few years.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know enough to assess Galloway, but that sounds like a description of every single combination ever of newspaper columnist/radio host.

7. Doc Holliday

Not a fan, eh?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've been a Star-Telegram subscriber for close to 15 years. At first it was great, because you had him and Gil Lebreton (and a couple others) and every day it was a treat.

Over time, though, Galloway more and more seemed to care only about using his column to drive people to his radio show. It became less about being interesting and more about being provoking. And it wasn't even good provoking; it was just annoying. These last couple of years, that's all it's been.

So, no, I wasn't a fan of what his columns (and he) had become.

9. Doc Holliday

Understood. I didn't care for the tone he took over the years either. Too critical while not providing an alternative. There's only so much negativity one can read before it gets tiresome.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe my favorite Galloway line ever was when, after a particularly ugly loss, he referred to the Cowboys as "the Fightin' Amoebas" because they were spineless, brainless and gutless.

11. Doc Holliday

That's classic Galloway.

Draft saved Draft deleted