1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing video, what do I need

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 5, 2016.

1. I've noticed reporters and even novices creating news videos or video blogs. I'd like to try my hand at doing this in my current job. What kind of equipment do I need?
    Can use a Nikon D4 camera and a some editing software?
    I want to produce some semi-professional work with clean cuts, edits and be able to put in graphics and stills, if needed. I'd like to keep it under $2,000. The cheaper the better, but it I require good equipment.
    What do I need?
    I was looking at this ...

And then maybe using Final Cut Pro software?

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Depends on what type of video you're shooting. If you're looking at just a video blog with you talking into a camera, I would think an iPhone and iMovie would suffice. If you're looking at shooting game footage, you'll need to look for a camera that can handle that sort of action.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure with the second line, you mean you already have a D4 camera? Are you looking to add editing software?

If you're going to shoot mostly static objects in shoots, D4 video will be fine. I'm guessing without looking that the D4 line has audio input jacks for external mics. DSLR video quality is really good and drastically improved since it was introduced 6-7 years ago. The quality from what my D300s could do compared to what my D750 does today is night and day. But if you shoot any action-type stuff, my experience has been that the DSLRs still don't focus fast enough in video mode. I shoot a Canon HD camcorder that costs about $1,000 IIRC. Video quality is about as good as DSLR, and the autofocus is way, way better.

As far as video editors, it depends on what you're going to do. But I think for the desires you described that Final Cut Pro would work well. It gives you the ability to adjust/mix clips, have multiple audio tracks, insert still photos, etc. I used it for the first time this fall helping some older colleagues who were making videos for the first time. It was easy enough for me to get the hang of in minutes after never before using it. Something like Premiere Pro is probably overkill for you.

I use Windows exclusively and I've now used the latest version of Movie Maker for years. It's hardy professional standard but it does everything I need for sports videos. I can easily insert and trim clips, create transitions, put a voiceover or other audio in over the embedded video audio, adjust levels and picture quality, and add captions, intro, outs, etc. Used it because it was free, and I've never grown to need a more powerful program (though I have tried Premiere Pro).

And remember, good audio is as important to good video. Test and know the limits of your camera's internal mic, and invest in a shotgun external mic or wireless lav mics depending on your needs.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Go with the Nikon 7200. It's the highest performing camera with all the attributes you are looking for. It's also their latest model and is an improvement over the 7100. Body only you can find for about $900. All the extras for about $1300 total. Trust me on this. A friend of mine is a professional photograhper/videographer and this is what he recommended. Got one myself recently.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I use a Nikon D7100 at work and my co-worker uses a D7000. They work pretty well, though the autofocus can be a bit slow like SFIND mentioned. An external mic would help. I shot a parade last spring and depended on the built-in mic. I had that camera on a tripod and let it record (only 20 minutes at a time, plus a few down minutes due to the heat) while I got pics with two other cameras. There was a special needs family that sat next to the camera and throughout the whole video you can hear the parents say "Hey Brittany, look at that car!" Not quietly either, I might add.
    I also second SFIND's question about the D4. I'm taking the original post to mean you already have the D4 and want to know if that would work? If that's the case, yes, it should work fine.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

First, get a penis enlargement. Then find a great looking girlfriend. Then learn POV techniques. Create an amateur pay website. Go wild. Make money.

Forget journalism.

studthug12, wicked, Padre and 4 others like this.
  7. This isn't journalism... its marketing.
    I want to create 30 second to 5 minute marketing campaigns for local businesses. That will include b roll footage and interviews. I want to make sure I have the right equipment to do a decent job. So that it looks like professional work.

I'm pretty sure I'll need and external mic.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Spring for an external mic. There is no such thing as good video without good audio.

SFIND and Vombatus like this.
  9. No. I don't have a D4. I am starting from scratch here.

10. Do I need a lot of accessories? I'm thinking no.
    A camera, card, cord, external mic and a tripod.

11. Looking at the Final Cut Pro ... Can I use with the Windows on a desktop computer? It looks like its for Mac and ipad applications.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What are the plans to monetize the video? Does your newspaper's website support hosting video, or will you have to rely on YouTube or another host?

Draft saved Draft deleted