1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SEC football writers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Christopher Smith, Jan 4, 2016.

1. JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Paid Freelance Opportunity - Seeking SEC Football Writers

We are looking for freelance writers for 2016 as we continue to make a push to improve the quality of our writing and incorporate more original reporting.

We'll pay $30 per story for regular content -- 5-10 stories per week throughout the offseason.

We also have secured a budget for long-form stories and original reporting every week. We will pay up to several hundred dollars per piece. We will accept one-off pitches and expect this to be a competitive entity.

I'm very excited about the changes in philosophy and direction that I've been able to implement behind the scenes. I fully expect Saturday Down South to continue a big move toward quality and reporting in 2016, and we plan to devote a lot more resources toward that end.

Especially if you have real talent -- reporting and writing -- I'd love for you to help me build this thing. Feel free to email me directly at csmith@saturdaydownsouth.com. I'll also gladly take any questions you may have.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There is a freelance help needed thread.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Certainly not an expert on such things but gridironnow and saturdaydownsouth seem to be among the better college FB sites. 30 bucks ain't much, but it's a start and sounds like you're working hard on getting decent funding for quality work. Good luck!

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Best thing this site did was get rid of its clown founder and CEO who was fond of going on drunken Twitter tirades. It is nice to see a legit effort toward legitimacy and original content.

5. It's going to take some time yet, but as long as I'm here we aren't going to stop until we become one of the most respected internet sites in sports.

Of my four most recent hires, one was a researcher at ESPN, one is a long-time editor at small to mid-sized papers in the Carolinas and the other two both have been editors at the Indianapolis Star and Miami Herald. We've got a few pretty talented freelancers as well, and we're only looking to emphasize journalism and reporting at a greater rate moving forward.

6. Carter Donahue

Carter Donahue New Member

How do we get started?

7. Please apply to the Journalism Jobs ad (link is in the top of this thread).

8. Brandon Biskobing

Brandon Biskobing New Member

I e-mailed you and never got a response back

9. nbiz

nbiz New Member

Same here.

10. Robert Palmer

Robert Palmer New Member

You're really dropping the ball on this one, Chris. I myself have sent you an email and still haven't received a reply. If you're the kind of person who has ridiculously high standards for your website then you might want to get on an efficient level if you think people like on this forum and other journalists want to write for you. Priorities man. Priorities.

11. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

Maybe you didn't get a reply because he thinks you are addicted to love.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Might as well face it.

studthug12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted