1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Review-Journal Staff Balks At Limits On Covering New Owner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd be making like Sheryl Crow and leaving Las Vegas.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If this is his idea of journalism, somebody needs to check on what's being covered up in Rhode Island.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

"But the newsroom was shaken soon after by the abrupt resignation of Michael Hengel."

I'm sure the newsroom was shaken, whatever that term is supposed to mean.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not stirred?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's Rhode Island, you don't have to look far for the corruption.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If it's Rhode Island, there isn't very far to look in the first place.

BDC99 and SFIND like this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

At least they weren't scattered, smothered and covered.

BDC99 and Ace like this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is really interesting. I applaud the staff of that news organization. You just know the ones that are being "pushy" about writing and printing articles about the owner (and also making the owner look bad) will be fired or reassigned or whatever legal way the paper can get rid of them. It's awesome that it appears the newsroom staff won't back down. On the other hand, some guy BOUGHT the paper and as the owner he kind of has the right to do whatever he wants with the paper. If in fact he wants to make it a daily house organ to tell the community how great he is, that's his right as OWNER. Obviously that would mean financial ruin as NOBODY would advertise anymore and they'd lose tons of subscribers if it's too slanted for the owner. Just an interesting situation all around. My guess is the newsroom staff will have a lot of turnover, some in terms of firings/reassignings by management. I mean having to get approval before you write anything about the owner is kinda scary (but again understandable if you own the damn thing).

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A one-sentence disclosure of ownership conflict is the bare minimum of journalism. I get not wanting to make the new boss look bad (even if I think it's sad) but throwing a fit over this? It's like not bothering to flush a toilet.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be throwing as much of a fit if the owner would have been just disclosed right away. Telling your newsroom to mind their own business isn't exactly the way to get them off your back.

Draft saved Draft deleted