1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next RWSM nitwit anti-science crusade: Element 113

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Starman, I''m now convinced you are related to smallpotatoes.

old_tony and SpeedTchr like this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

...but MUCH smarter. Don't forget that part.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You should check out that dude on Periodic Videos on YouTube. He is one of those you can't turn away from even though you suspect his videos are bad.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Jesus H. Christ. A couple of things about this, because I do have some experience studying radioactive decay and particle physics.

The fuck does "more radioactive than plutonium" even mean? That's a completely nonsense phrase designed to scare people.

The big thing about this element isn't the amount of it, it's its -- for lack of a better word -- lifespan. When it's created, it exists for only nanoseconds before it starts its radioactive decay chain.

As for alpha radiation, you can protect yourself from that shit with a fucking piece of paper, or even by having skin. Beta radiation can be deflected with tinfoil. It's gamma radiation (which requires lead for protection) that can really fuck you up.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THank you Dr Banner

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A-HA!

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Theoretically you can create any new element with any number of protons in an atom smasher. Surprised they only got as far as 118.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But ... No known use!!! More radioactive than plutonium!!!

Plus now all the periodic tables are obsolete.

Aieee!!

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think so ... there are theoretical limits to the strong force's ability to hold a nucleus together, and within those limits there is a finite number of proton/neutron combinations. I know I read about this somewhere ...

Here it is!

How Many Neutrons and Protons Can Get Along? Maybe 7,000

The headline's a bit misleading. The research suggests there are only 7,000 (roughly) possible combinations, which would involve way the hell fewer protons.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted