1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world needed another "Why I Quit My Job" piece by a millennial, so without further ado ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The chances that the boss said anything remotely as the writer recounts it here is about 1 in 1,000 to the 1,000th power.

"A Job That Nourishes the Soul If Not the Wallet"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/03/jobs/a-job-that-nourishes-the-soul-if-not-the-wallet.html?_r=0

When the lawyer learned that I was quitting without another job lined up, he actually laughed at me. "So, what do you think you're going to do to support yourself?" he asked, kicking back and crossing his arms.

I admitted that I wasn't sure. He digested this for a moment. "Sometimes, we have to do things we don't want to do. That's just life. That's how you make money," he said. "You think you're going to go out there and find some job you enjoy? You think you're going to find a job that's going to make you happy? Grow up!"

Heat rose in my cheeks. My eyes started to sting. I knew, at that point in my life, that my normally supportive but increasingly worried parents were going to say similar things. I wanted to run off to the staff refrigerator and cry into a cup of yogurt. But the lawyer wasn't done.

"You think I want to do this?" he said. "You think I want to be here?"

He didn't seem to realize that, with this, he had revealed too much. I knew from past conversations that he was a third-generation lawyer. But I hadn't realized, until that moment, what that meant for him. Instead of taking advantage of this privileged legacy in ways that would fulfill him in nonfinancial ways, he had been carrying ti as a personal burden. Almost immediately, I forgave his tone.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Don't knock millennials. Plenty of middle-aged people do the same thing, plus they have some charity and a GoFundMe campaign needing money.

BurnsWhenIPee and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those seem like legitimate questions one would ask and the tone is up for interpretation, I guess.

You think it's too literary or that the lawyer was too open?

I would never be surprised at what a lawyer said.

My sister called about paralegal job a few years ago, and the lawywer asked what she looked like and wanted to know if she looked like Dolly Parton.

4. Dick Whitman

There is no fucking way he said exactly what she needed him to say so that she could write this piece. Zero. Zilch. It's like Mitch Albom was her co-writer. Or Sabrina Erdely.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, it was 15 years ago, so ....

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Would expect this in a Rebecca Schuman article.

7. Dick Whitman

She was speaking to a person, not a caricature.

There's no way he rattled these sentences off, one after another:

That's how you make money," he said. "You think you're going to go out there and find some job you enjoy? You think you're going to find a job that's going to make you happy? Grow up!"

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am sure she had it taped or was taking notes. Not sure why you are being this way.

9. Dick Whitman

Because she's inventing quotes to support her story, just like Jackie did. That's the surest way you can tell a story is fabricated. The people talk like caricatures.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Mommy, I'm hungry."

"Well, just nourish your soul."

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Especially with no track record for being right with this sort of speculation...

12. Dick Whitman

It was nice of her to forgive her boss, owing to her insta-psychoanalysis of him based upon the one sentence of biographical information she was privy to.

Draft saved Draft deleted