1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters delivering Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JimmyHoward33, Jan 3, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be "celebrating it." I'd fire whomever came up with the idea first - though I imagine the circulation department was already gutted and outsourced - and realize that someone else will probably "step up" when they outsource the news department.
    Hell, I've dropped off more than a few papers to people calling in and not getting a paper, it's nice to connect with the readers, but also a reminder that the most critical part of the newspaper process -- getting it to the customer - is the least valued by management.

3. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Yes, the tone of these articles and twitter posts is very strange.

We're already having to wear so many hats due to layoffs. Wearing one more, even temporarily, is no cause for celebration.

The corporate types would have journalists scrubbing the newsroom toilets if they could. But no worries corporate types, we journalists will take on yet another duty to save your asses.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Very true about management not caring about delivery. I've been at shops the last several years where indeed two places asked reporters to help out circulation. They did make it where you could "volunteer" to deliver papers at 5 or 6 a.m. Only the total suck up reporters volunteered, figuring it'd help them in case of layoffs. That's not the case, folks. If they are going to lay you off they will lay you off.
    How bout this one? Gannett or somebody decided it would be a moneymake to offer porch delivery for an extra 5 bucks a month. If you didn't pay that, you got the product at the end of the driveway. I mean, what the frick???? BAD BUSINESS. Newspapers are disgraceful. That's all there is to it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now they're treating the readers like the employees they kept around. Bad move.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Do readers care how they get their newspaper delivered? I doubt it, as long as the paper is where they want it when they want it. Same for all "content."

The Globe has reported on itself to create a positive spin, and other media outlets are picking up on it. Did The Globe do the same during its own layoffs?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Were most of the subscribers even awake when the reporters delivered the paper? Why would the subscribers even care, as long as they got he paper?

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OC Register did something like this back when Kushner hucked up the delivery dept. I think they were offering employees a $25 gift card for a couple hours of deliveries. After Kushner was sent away in disgrace, his replacement, Mirman, called an emergency delivery plan. He was out there himself throwing papers and, of course, it became a story they publicized.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Next few months should be fun:

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure about the big papers, but here in Podunk, we can't keep drivers. Too many other places hiring — and paying better wages for jobs with better hours.

Plus with the snow we've had over the past 2-3 weeks, not sure if there's a worse job than delivering huge holiday papers between 3-6 a.m. (or later because of poor road conditions)

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

[
    It is a terrible job. Do the carriers get days off or are they expected to work every day? And as a former paper boy I know it is getting harder to porch papers. The routes have become so spread out as circulation has declined I don't know if they have the time.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I looked into getting a run about 15 years ago in the small burg where I lived to make some extra cash. Even then it was amazingly difficult, in terms of the work and keeping people.

Draft saved Draft deleted