1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times and Newsday: Two memos that are how layoff notices should be written

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Seattle Times is asking for buyouts, and Newsday is cutting a few positions. It sucks, of course, but in these cases, I give the Times editor and the Newsday union memo writer credit. No bullshit about how they're going to be just as strong, or how they'll cover the news better, or how EXCITING these times are. Just straightforward announcements, with appropriate somberness.

» Seattle Times and Newsday offer buyouts JIMROMENESKO.COM

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've been through a handful of those things in two different shops, and I cannot recall ever seeing a "memo." News was delivered in a staff meeting every time.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck? You're not less unemployed if they fire you somberly or "respectfully."

wicked and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Eh, I get that, but it does make it worse if they stand there and try to put a happy face on it. ("This will be a new and exciting time for the newspaper!")

I've seen enough of that to last a couple of lifetimes.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's bad enough being unemployed. The least they can do is be respectful about it.

Let me guess, you cheer when people get fired by email or by a phone call, or you think having security guards walk you out with your box that you've had just five minutes to pack up is just peachy keen. After all, they're not less unemployed.

6. BTExpress

Let's play "Don't Worry, be Happy" and "Walking on Sunshine" at funerals, while we're at it.

Who gives a fuck? They're not going to be less dead if you show proper respect.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

Sure, if you're the one who killed the person.

8. MisterCreosote

The most "disrespectful" thing about getting fired is getting fired.

My ex-boss pretending to have respect for me while he/she does it doesn't put food on my table.

Bronco77 likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You can't be that tone-deaf.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We're applauding the honesty here. There's a lack of it in way too many newsrooms.

Baron Scicluna and Bronco77 like this.
  11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be a surprise if one of these days there's a job-cut memo that reads, "Fifteen newsroom employees are leaving to spend more time with their families/pursue other opportunities."

12. BTExpress

More often than not, a person's boss was the person responsible for hiring them. And they're not usually the person responsible for firing them. They are typically just carrying out orders from elsewhere.

No, it doesn't put food on your table to know that. But the distinction is valid.

Draft saved Draft deleted