1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 21, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Editor for Sports will guide Enquirer sports content team, including reporters at the Enquirer as well as our local affiliated non-dailies in making daily and long-term decisions about coverage plans and content production based on data, working in concert with the audience analyst. This position manages coverage by working with coaches, other strategists, reporters and photographers to ensure the right mix of content to strategically serve our target audiences. He or she works as a liaison with peers in advertising and marketing on content strategies; works collaboratively with the production team to execute team-based initiatives between departments in a project management role.

Typical Job Duties:

• Oversees sports staff in establishing each journalist’s weekly and monthly strategic plan. When necessary, redirects individuals’ plans to balance or complete the group’s work. You will guide creative and effective digital and print approaches to serve audiences with a deeply rooted interest in the Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Bengals, local college basketball and high school sports.
    • Ongoing research into key audiences, developed with audience analyst.
    • Omniture, Chartbeat, Scarborough, ComScore (where available) and emerging analytics tools.
    • Work with writers on in-depth beat coverage that emphasizes breaking news and authoritative reporting.
    • Action plans for community outreach and marketing by journalists.
    • Develop distinct content plans for digital, print, special sections and magazines.
    • Conceive, assign and edit stories and work with writers to produce a polished product.
    • Work with writers on in-depth beat coverage that emphasizes breaking news and authoritative reporting.
    • Oversee daily programming of the site, ensuring quality control and timely posting of differentiating news and information, including video.
    • Budget stories for digital and print with emphasis on timeliness, relevance and enterprise.
    • Ability to collaborate with other editors (including those from other Gannett properties) to maximize network synergy and reach.
    • Be familiar with and committed to digital storytelling approaches that encourage and increase audience engagement
    • Manages the handoff of content to writing coaches and content production and planning team.
    • Establishes and enforces standards – quantity and quality – for content-creation team members.
    • Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
    • Performs other duties as necessary.

Requirements:

• Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
    • Five years of media management experience
    • Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy

What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.

About Us: Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”

Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.

https://career4.successfactors.com/...lertName=&_s.crb=fN8yKWcuO4NchGe5UrGocxwVgh8=

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone know who vacated the job? I think it was someone who stayed only six months or so.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Editor for Sports". So they're no longer coaches?

Waldo9939 likes this.
  4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Had the same question Baron. I've been out of Gannett for about a year and this seems to be the third makeover of this kind of position.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tough sell all around: Enquirer, Gannett, Cincinnati. Your mileage may vary, though.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Since 2010 there have been six sports editors. Since there isn't an assistant at the moment technically no one is running the department.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Why is there such turnover? Decent enough place to work. I don't think other Gannett papers have this kind of turnover in major markets.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

At the Gannett paper I am at we don't have a sports editor. Two coaches are basically the editors now and during latest round of cuts the SE was axed. We have 4 daily papers, 3 sports writers and now no more stringers.

9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I think the inmates are but who am I to judge.

cjericho likes this.
  10. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

That happened just before I went to the Gamnett shop I was at, and that was in 2007.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think this job is particularly tough because you have a lot to cover -- pro, college and high school -- with too-few resources and terrible deadlines.

Plus they put cinnamon in the chili.

12. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

The publisher who is there now used to be an editor at the paper a long time ago and is well regarded. The EE used to work at The Oregonian which means he is not a company guy. There is some potential still there but will Gannett allow the both of them to rebuild it after two years of being gutted worse than a fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted