1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin is more insufferable than Mizzou

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Dec 23, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Oberlin College Black Student Union released a 14-page list of demands.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/...Black-Student-Union-Institutional-Demands.pdf

Six-point list of goals.

1. An increase in Black and students of color represented in the institution from the Americas, including the Caribbean and Africa
    2. An increase in Black administrators and faculty across departments and governing bodies
    3. The divestment from all prisons and Israel
    4. Exclusive Black safe spaces on campus
    5. The active elimination of institutional complacency that allows violence against Black students to thrive and persist
    6. The eradication of hegemony in the curriculum across the College and Conservatory

Some of the items that are funny is demanding the firing of several employees, free housing for Black students during the winter break, Black financial aid officers to explain things, change in how students are evaluated through grades, direct involvement in hiring school presidents, renaming of several campus buildings

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Sounds part for the course. Hard to argue it's worse than Mizzou when you're talking about Oberlin, where you actually expect the wing nut fringe to have some traction.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And appropriate the proud Italian culture? No thank you, sir.

dixiehack and cranberry like this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Finally a movement I can get behind.

EDIT: In addition, I would like an exclusive safe space to eat my free mac and cheese.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That happened already, It's called Howard Unviersity

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I like how they also DEMAND that thus-and-such faculty members be tenured/promoted.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't that what the white sororities are for?

dooley_womack1 and TyWebb like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Although I'm sure the students have legitimate gripes and issues that need to be addressed, demanding things be done exactly the way you want it rarely leads to positive outcomes for any involved.

And I'll take a spoon with my mac 'n' cheese, the better to eat the cheese sauce with, my dear.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Or what??? What happens if these demands are rejected?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They throw tantrums with the rest of the 2-year-olds.

Draft saved Draft deleted