1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit News buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TwoGloves, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also interesting in that they say they're going to be hiring others of "the next generation."

Kinda sound age discriminatory to me.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Terry Foster, who I always thought was a decent columnist, is pushed aside and told to cover the fucking Pistons?

What people are making these decisions?

(Yes, I assume they made him an offer he had to refuse because of his radio show.)

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's income discriminatory.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many columnists will the paper have after Foster leaves? I think that the days of papers carrying two or even three full-time columnists is coming to an end.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I would assume the same.

I've always been pretty leery of columnists working radio side. They give away their opinions for free. And Foster's opinions pale in comparison to his partner.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Both Boston papers still have two, although Gerry Callahan of my alma mater is more emeritus than real, writing only so often. But all the lead beat guys and gals have at least one weekly column on their beat.
    PS: Alma, Gerry is an anomaly. He can still write really good columns from time to time, but after 20 years, he remains terrible radio, which is odd because in person he's very engaging.

9. TwoGloves

Bob Wojnowski and John Niyo are the remaining columnists. Foster wasn't really a columnist. He wrote more online stuff and did a lot of general assignment stuff. Free Press has three columnists if you count Albom.

10. TwoGloves

He hasn't been a true columnist in years.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought Callahan had stopped writing in the Herald and was doing stuff for WEEI.com.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I do think it is sad that a job at a sports radio station is now considered more stable than a job at as a sportswriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted