1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's a War on Christmas, Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A school in Kentucky is removing the religious references, such as Linus' speech, from its "Charlie Brown Christmas" school play. Naturally, this has sparked outrage.

UPDATE: Legal group asks Johnson Co. Schools to allow religious references in Christmas plays

I'm kinda torn on it. I understand that there are religious references in the show and I doubt that, if the show had been introduced today, no network would have touched it, unlike 50 years ago. I do understand the tradition behind it, and I don't really find it offensive personally. But at the same time, I could see someone else being offended by it. If Linus started talking about Muhammed, I'd think there would be a lot of people offended.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not if it was the "Charlie Brown Ramadan Special."

It's an interesting case. I think it probably is slightly too supportive of religion, constitutionally, because Linus isn't vouching anything he says as simply background. On the other hand, it's being shown as a slice of pop culture history. It would be OK to teach the Sistine Chapel, right?

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Do you want the day off? Fine. Then you should probably learn the bullshit story about why you have the day off.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And I don't think people are "offended" by it. They just don't think it has a place in public schools, legally. That's quite different.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Torture is sitting through a school holiday concert or program.

SFIND and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know people love to pretend otherwise, but Christmas is a religious holiday. So, good luck putting on a Christmas play without addressing religion. It would be like doing a July 4th play without mentioning the United States.

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What is the point of doing the play, then?

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Plenty of schools are putting on "Christmas" plays without mentioning Christmas. They just call it a Holiday play and it's all about snow.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But putting on a Charlie Brown Christmas without Linus reading about the true meaning of Christmas would be like putting on a Die Hard play and not having Hans Gruber plummet to his death.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would pay good, hard-earned money to see a fourth grade class perform "Die Hard" as its holiday play.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

In other news, this country is fucked-up. There's your Christmas story.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mommy, I get to be Mr. Falcon in the school play!

Lugnuts, Batman and Riptide like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted