1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Los Angeles schools closed after bomb threat called in to board member

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Officials have closed all Los Angeles Unified School District campuses Tuesday morning after a bomb threat was called in to board member, roiling the nation's second-largest school district.

Authorities said they plan a search operation of all LAUSD schools after an "unspecified threat was received."

The move comes less than two weeks after two shooters killed 14 people in San Bernardino in what was the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.

It is unclear when the threat was made and to which school board member, but the situation prompted the LAUSD to close all schools effective immediately, according to the Los Angeles school police.

Students and staff were directed to stay away from all campuses.

All LAUSD schools closed after bomb threat called in to board member, police say

2. YankeeFan

3. YankeeFan

Can they search 900+ schools by open of school tomorrow morning?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Only if they pay overtime. /Baron

BTExpress, YankeeFan and doctorquant like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I drove by Hamilton High School on the way to work this morning. All the front doors, usually open, locked shut. A couple of school administrators I assume (they had walkie talkies) coming up to the straggling kids who hadn't heard the news, I guess, and telling them (I assume) to go back home.
    Very surreal.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, when they said they get these all the time but this one was different, that's a strong statement. Doesn't sound like some kid prank, but who knows.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Somebody in charge commented that "it's a fluid situation". #Boom

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Time to call in John McClane.

And check those gold reserves.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Did they say to check with your airline directly for further information?

Baron Scicluna and Huggy like this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised this topic is not getting more traffic here.

How this is handled, I feel, is very important to how our country will continue to handle terroristic threats.

The LA schools are letting the terrorists win by closing. But, if my kid went to those schools, I would be unsure if I would send them today.

But...

This is the world we created, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I also don't want my daughter living in fear, because that's want the terrorists want.

Draft saved Draft deleted