1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Oral History of Deliverance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Dec 14, 2015.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been posted (and can't use the search function to find out) but found this really interesting.

(Also, I considered calling the thread "Actors and writers squeal like pigs" but thought that might be a bit much).

Delivering 'Deliverance'

Riptide likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I love the oral histories. Wish there were more of them.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think "oral" is the word I think about when I hear "Deliverance."

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I don't know HOW Ned Beatty restrained himself from beating the everloving crap out of his agent after that movie.

[​IMG]

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's a great satire song called "Ned Beatty Had the Hardest Part," sung to a Tom Petty song

heyabbott and SpeedTchr like this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness that was brilliant! Thanks for the tip.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can't believe that was the first film for Ronny Cox and Ned Beatty, two of the more reliable actors in the business. I remember watching it on TV as a kid and due to the editing, it made no sense to me what the hell was going on with Beatty. I figured he was just being taunted. As a regular paddler, they really captured the how you can go from idyllic peace to sheer terror in seconds.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I thought the article was very interesting and, like Riptide, I like this particular format, but one small complaint is that it kind of threw me off when most of the interview subjects are talking in present day, and two of them are being quoted from four decades ago. I understand the reasons: Dickey obviously is no longer with us, and I can see how difficult Reynolds might be to get an interview with, but it's still strange to have quotes that far apart in years put together like that as if it's one big conversation.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That article is from Garden & Gun magazine. Fuck yeah! Murica!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's that about, tips on shooting holes for planting seeds?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's actually a really good magazine. Very few gun or plant articles, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted