1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Job Hunting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Halloffamer, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Halloffamer

Halloffamer New Member

I'm a sports writer for a mid-level paper but recently applied for a job at a much bigger paper. I really, really want this job. It's covering a pro team.

Anyways, I sent my clips, resume etc and the sports editor got back to me said they are interested in me, but had some management defections at the top of the paper. As a result, they won't fill the sports positions until sometime in mid to late Jan after the management hires are filled. (I suspect it will be longer bc it's multiple positions.)

Anyways, I emailed him back and thanked him for the update. That was a week ago and I've put it out of my head. But since then I've broken two big stories. One which touches on the team I'd likely be covering if I got this job.

My question is should I send the guy the 2 new clips with a very brief note explaining why I'm sending them to him. Or should I just leave it alone and not do anything to pester the editor. Want to stay on radar, but don't want to pester the guy.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ben, I might keep my powder dry and reach out - with those clips - right at the end of the year, just say you're still interested and that you feel like you've been productive through the holiday season, etc., etc. Heck, you might break another story or two before the ball drops.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely do that. If you're breaking big stories, it's good to follow up.

Shows your continued interest in his job opening, too. Do it the way HH suggests.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Definitely send those clips. Keeps you on his mind and makes sure he sees your latest work. Might even be a difference maker in the end. Good luck!

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Since you've been in touch with the sports editor, perhaps you could request/ask if it would be possible for the two of you to meet for an informal get-together/interview/get-to-know-you session in the near future. Plan it, but keep it casual. It'd give the sports editor a sense of you, without making any real, full commitment yet, and get you information and a sense of the sports editor and the paper, as well.

This would make it less like an interview and, theoretically, at least, more relaxed and probably a better, more true-to-life representation of you, anyway.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree with Double H as well. Send em in just to keep em interested. Good luck, and let us know how it ends up.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When I was a sports editor, I never thought it anything but a plus if you were persistent. It's a requirement of the job, you know.

Bottom line, as an SE, it's nice to have someone you know is truly interested. May even work better now when some folks might be afraid to make the move to a pro beat at a paper with shakeups at the top.

It also was a good suggestion by Write to see if you can arrange a casual meeting or lunch if you happen to be in town. Then find a way to happen to be in town. Good luck.

8. Halloffamer

Halloffamer New Member

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I sent him a follow up email with the stories on Sat. The stories are scoops now so I wanted to send them while they were hot and not wait until they were old news. As of 10:45 Monday, I haven't recevied a response. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if you don't get a response, you are in his mind when he is ready to pull the trigger.

Works in your favor if he is confident you'd be good at the job and really want it, if there is change at the top and you get a green light to fill a position, you don't drag your feet.

10. Halloffamer

Halloffamer New Member

Just to update everyone: I sent the stories on Saturday and as of Friday morning I did not get a response. Not sure what that means.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There is a line between being persistent and needy.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You might not get a response to your email with links to the two scoops, per se. After all, if you really scooped his paper, he may not be all that happy about it, or how that looks/feels.

Watch and see whether his paper does a follow(s) of your stories, though. That would be a tacit response, too, without his actually saying so.

Draft saved Draft deleted