1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ok. Buckle your seatbelts.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So, me and my beautiful wife are looking for a pug dog. Young female. She goes online and looks and looks and bam......there she is......absolutely adorable. My wife fell in love instantly. So, she contacts the seller who is in Ohio. $300, and they will ship it. $150 now, $150 when they deliver it. Fine. Let's go. I western Union the guy $150 ( another $8 for fees.)
    We even went so much as going to Petco the other night and spending $200 on organic dog food, dog beds, etc,etc.......
    This was on Wednesday. Delivery of the dog was to be at 2:30 Friday afternoon. I get an email Friday morning saying that we would have to spend another $600 on a pet carrier that was insulated because of the weather, but that money would be refunded when they delivered the dog. Skeptical, but sure.....lets do it. I western Union $600 (plus $48 in fees.)
    BUT WAIT.....THERES MORE.
    I get another email while eating lunch that says that every dog they sell must have life insurance and that this dogs owner let the insurance lapse or something, and that it would cost another $700. I'm passed mad. We want the dog, and they assured us that we would get the full amount refunded at 2:30. Ok. I western union $700 (plus $58 in fees).
    BUT WAIT......still more.
    Keep in mind, my wife is over the moon excited for this pup. When she finds out that she is coming at 2:30, she is waiting on the front porch for her.
    I get the final email at 2:35 that says the dog has parvo and would cost another $1000.
    I entered a level of pissed off that I had never been to before. I told them to take the fucking dog to my fucking house and we will take it to our fucking vet our fucking selves. Nope. Has to have a clean bill of health. No. Fuck you and fuck your mother. So I tell them that we will just cancel the whole transaction. They say that will cost another $300. Now, you can go fuck your father and your daughter. Not spending one more fucking cent.
    I know I missed some red flags. I get it. Hook, line and sinker. Big fish here. Here's the thing......its not even about the money. I keep going back to the image of my wife sitting on our front porch waiting for this dog. She is heartbroken. When it comes to hurting my family, I'm not real smart. I have all the texts, emails, phone numbers and all. I've already called my attorney, and filed a complaint for Internet crimes and fraud. If I ever find these mother fuckers, they will wish they would have died as a child.
    In closing....do not fall for this. If you want a pet, call your local animal shelter, pet store or something.

I'm out.
    Chef.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for your troubles Chef, that sucks 1,000 ways to Sunday. But good on you for wanting a dog.
    My advice as a lifelong dog guy who has had mutts and purebreds and loved them all:

*If you want a purebred, that's fine. Do a little research and find out who the reputable dealers are around you. Find one with a litter and go visit. Sit on the floor and let the pups crawl over you. One will jump out at you, there will be an instant bond. That's your dog.

*If you want a rescue, that's fine. Go to the shelter and do the same thing.

You need to see YOUR dog and you will know it is YOUR dog.

Hang in, Chef, and then go get your wife a pug.

Ella says woof and to let her know if she needs to kick anyone's ass for you.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

That sucks. Sorry you got ripped off when you were expecting a new family member.

It's a fairly coming scam. An airline I used to work for went had some websites shut down because they would spoof our cargo division and have phantom charges for pet transportation.

Best of luck with a new dog. We are looking in the Spring but am a bit paranoid of getting a rescue as we have little kids in the house.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Chef. I'm sure you'll find a great dog.

That $300 to cancel the transaction made me chuckle, though. What happens if you don't pay it? They'll sue you? They're keeping your money anyways.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

All of this. And Bailey and Peanut will back up Ella. That really sucks, but don't fret Chef. She'll fall in love with the one you do pick out and all will be hopefully be forgotten. Just hoping you get your money back. Good luck.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This can't be real. Jesus Christ.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely real.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Keep checking for similar ads; these kind of people don't cheat people just once and then stop. If you're sure they are in Ohio, alert the authorities. Someone's fraud division might be able to find them.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Were there no pugs in your area to see in person?

Gutter and BDC99 like this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Send them a warning note along with a toe.

Ace and Riptide like this.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Are you close enough to go there and get your money back? Quick, 24-hour flight turnaround to take the police with you to their door would be worth it, to me.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

'cause I'm sure they gave a correct return address.

Sucks, Chef. Very sorry to hear about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted