1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump trolling Obama's speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In responding to Pres. Obabam's speech, Donald Trump on tried to mock Obama's reference to Muslims as sports heroes, among other things.

Trump's tweet:

"Obama said in his speech that Muslims are our sports heroes. What sport is he talking about, and who? Is Obama profiling?"

Uh, Donald, pretty much any American can name a Muslim or two wh0 is a prominent athlete. You might have even employed some when you owned a USFL team.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe a few obscure guys.

[​IMG]

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon. There's a few prominent Muslim athletes. The two most famous, Ali and Abdul-Jabbar, haven't been active in years. They're also both converts. And, while Abdul-Jabbar didn't join the Nation of Islam, for both of them, it was more about their African identity, than it was about the radical version of Islam that attracts many of today's converts.

To act like Muslims are as common among our sports heroes as are members of any other group is absurd.

4. Dick Whitman

5. Dick Whitman

If the Broncos make the Super Bowl, should Ryan Harris be permitted to play? Would The Donald, in fact, let him play in the NFL at all?

[​IMG]

6. Dick Whitman

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What's all that stuff under his jersey? How can we be sure it's not some bomb vest?

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So Muslims are not among our sports heroes, and Ali doesn't count as Muslim?

Interesting take.

I guess, by your logic, you aren't really Christian if you are brought up in a different faith or no faith and convert.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Trump to drop the N-word so I can watch his poll numbers surge to 50-percent.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many current players are Muslim, and could be counted as sports "heroes"?

So far, we've had three guys who haven't been active in years, and some running back, who is familiar to daily fantasy players.

Muslims just aren't prominent among team sports in America, and very few are stars. If you want to pretend otherwise, have at it.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't think he'll do it, and I don't think his numbers would necessarily go up. But I don't think they would drop that much, at least immediately. I think the media would probably do a pretty good job shaming people out of supporting him. I think you'd get a lot of people rolling out one of a few old saws:

• "There's a difference between black people and niggers!"
    • "They call each other that!"
    • "My best friend is black! But ..."

12. Dick Whitman

Who said they were?

This is the quote:

Muslim-Americans are our friends and our neighbors, our co- workers, our sports heroes. And, yes, they are our men and women in uniform who are willing to die in defense of our country. We have to remember that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.