1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Savannah GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ncdeen, Dec 2, 2015.

1. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

Since it was officially posted on journalismjobs.com, I'm posting it here. We have an opening for a sports editor of a four-man staff at the Savannah Morning News. Tony Stastny recently retired after working 42 years at the paper. I only worked under him for six months, but he was great. And I can tell you living here is awesome.
    Main focuses of coverage are preps and Georgia Southern athletics, which is my beat.
    Here's the link to the ad: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor needed in Garden of Good & Evil
    Feel free to PM me with any questions.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The running reference in the ad likely has a lot to do with the Savannah Marathon, which is run in early November. I know some people who run in that thing, even though Hackyville is a ways away. It's legit.

Georgia Southern has a good following statewide, even though it's a new FBS program. You also get to deal with Savannah State (HBCU) and Armstrong State (Division II). They did just lose their South Atlantic League baseball team to Columbia, S.C., but they're getting a Coastal Plain League team to play in their baseball stadium, which was built in the 1920s.

In terms of preps, the private schools (Savannah Christian, Savannah Country Day, Benedictine, Calvary Day) are decent. Benedictine won a state title in football last year. You also get to deal regularly with GHSA Executive Committee member Earl Etheridge, who likes to stir the pot and is usually at the heart of anything major the association's legislative body tries to do.

Don't know much about the paper, although I do know some people who work there, all of whom I would label as good people. It is a Morris shop, so there's that.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Isn't the cost of living in Savannah pretty high?

4. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

It's not that bad unless you want to live downtown

5. DeskMonkey1

Still, this strikes me as a job for a single guy with a roommate. Am I wrong?

6. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

I don't have a roommate and I get by fine. And you would make more than I do

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

What does that mean?

8. DeskMonkey1

That's interesting. Does that four-man staff include the desk or just reporters?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. DeskMonkey1

I'm not familiar with Morris. Are they Gannett bad?

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Family ownership means there's the occasional quirky stuff going on. I've known a few people who had bad experiences working for Morris. But I also know people who worked for the company and did just fine. Everyone I know who has gone through Savannah has had good things to say, so I wouldn't have any overwhelming concerns about this gig beyond doing normal due diligence.

11. bevo

bevo Member

How about 2 kids and a wife?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You can live in Hinesville. :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted