1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A decent interview with Tiger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Dec 3, 2015.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to know the machinations that got Lorne Rubenstein and Time this assignment. Maybe not the most revealing sit-down in athlete history, but for Tiger this is pretty good.

Tiger Woods 40th Birthday Interview

2. He ain't playing, muchless winning. If he's going to stay relevant, he might have to become likable, and try to open up a bit.
    Good luck. Though this is a start.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a good interview. If all he could do was walk 10 minutes a day and lie down, yeah, that's about it.

I did laugh, though.

You don’t read what’s written about you? Was there a time when you did?
    Not really. And that has served me well. It has served me well.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/tiger-woods-straight-up-not-true-not-funny/

Did you read Dan Jenkins’ interview with me in the latest Golf Digest? I hope not. Because it wasn’t me.

4. This was interesting.

A lot of folks thought he had the yips and lost his ability to play the short game and putt. No so, he says. Just a lack of practice and plenty of pain.

So if he's healthy, if he ever gets healthy, pain-free (which I doubt will happen) he can play.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the day he comes clean about his PED use.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I like that even he can't stand watching golf. I'll have to bring that up with my dad next time he tries to get me to watch some non-major on the Golf Channel with him.

(I realize Tiger probably can't stand it for a different reason, but I'm still using it.)

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He absolutely did have the yips, and the fact that he can lie to himself that he didn't have them is probably part of the reason he (sort of) overcame them. This "changing pattern" stuff is utter bullshit. I'll buy it in the putting, maybe, although I think it's just a function of getting old. No one putts better with age.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, some of us "amateur" (read: lousy) hackers do improve with age, because it's only then we've had enough reps to even try to get better.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This one is making the rounds today courtesy of Golf.com -- a 1995 article after Tiger won the U.S. Amateur.

"I'm going to make a prediction," Earl Woods said Sunday night, as champagne both tingled and loosened his tongue. "Before he's through, my son will win 14 major championships."

Encore! Encore!

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I would bet if Earl was alive, he would claim that like Jack always has, he was counting U.S. Amateurs as major championships. So he'd say he actually undersold Tiger by three majors. Of course, that would give Tiger 17 compared to Jack's 20, so he's still stuck in second – apparently for good.

But that's a pretty amazing find/quote. Thanks for sharing.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Heard about that on the radio his morning. Pretty incredible.

Of course, Earl also predicted Tiger would "do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity."

Batting .500 ain't bad, though!

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Need someone good at GIFs to do one for me. (I think this is how the kids would phrase it): When Tiger and Kobe are your two favorite active athletes and their best moments come when they're talking, not playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted