1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN cover on San Bernadino

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I think this is a wow moment for a newspaper to take a stand like this... It will definitely create a discussion .... I'd hope this thread would stay based on the journalism aspect of this cover, and leave the stuff about the tragedy in the original post.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Journalism"

Potter, JackReacher and Doc Holliday like this.
  3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out, the NYDN Twitter feed didn't mind getting on board #PrayForParis.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Technically, the cover is incorrect since the prayers aren't for God to fix this, but to provide comfort to the families of the victims. But it is strong and newspapers haven't been shy about editorializing on the front page. Is it a cheap shot? Probably - but it does point out the disconnect. I mean, Congress hasn't even discussed addressing mass shootings since Sandy Hook, be it mental health, improved protections for public buildings, things that don't go near the g word.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bernardino! FUCK! Crossthread

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't call that journalism. I don't know what I call it. But it's not journalism.

WriteThinking likes this.
  7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'd prefer:
    God says:
    Fix this!

BTExpress likes this.
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Any legitimate journalist should be embarrassed by this cover.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eh. The NYDN hs covers that embarrass me all the time.

This at least they tried to take a righteous stance. If you can call mocking God righteous.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have no problem with it. It's jarring, but so is our mass shooting problem. And it's true, the "thoughts and prayers" refrain is so darned tired. That should be a given for a politician, like playing hard for a pro athlete. Doesn't even need mentioning. So when all those Twitter feeds light up with same hollow crap, good for calling 'em out.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know I sound like a broken record, but journalists need to do actual reporting and stop trolling Twitter 24/7. A lot of its characteristics are up for debate, but it most certainly is vapid and self-aggrandizing and a frighteningly effective conduit for worthless stupidity.

Also, pet peeve: Not all victims are "innocent." In this case, we don't know much of anything about them, yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted