1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school reporter, Charlottesville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NickMathews, Sep 23, 2015.

1. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

The official job posting:

The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, Virginia, has an immediate opening for a reporter to cover high school sports. We are seeking a digitally savvy journalist who is aggressive with posting breaking news online, comfortable and accurate writing on deadline and can spot those stories that belong on A1. The right candidate will have social media knowledge as well as video and traditional print skills. Job involves night and weekend work. The Daily Progress covers 18 high schools and recently launched CVilleVarsity.com, a web site dedicated to Central Virginia high school sports. Some experience at a weekly or daily newspaper preferred, but will consider candidates with strong college experience. Charlottesville is a college town located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia that offers a high quality of life.

If you are interested in the position, please email a cover letter, resume, five of your best clips (with at least two enterprise pieces) and your Twitter handle to editor Nick Mathews at nmathews@DailyProgress.com.

Please put "Sports Reporter: (Your name)" in the subject line. No phone calls please.

2. DCorNothing

DCorNothing New Member

Any update on this?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

By all accounts, Nick is aces to work for. Charlottesville's a lovely town with things to do that belie its size. But it's fairly expensive to live there, and traditionally they haven't paid a whole super lot, though maybe that's changed?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Doubtful.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I figured as such; I guess I was in a benefit-of-the-doubt-giving mood that day.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All I know was that when I was semi-interested in Charlottesville's UVa gig, I heard it paid slightly less than I was making in Lynchburg. Figuring in the massive COL increase between the two, I would have had to have taken a significant pay cut. That was under MG, but the pay never got any better under Buffett's tutelage. So I'm inclined to think the job doesn't pay a ton.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. I remember when $13/hr covering high schools was just a mountain of cash. Those were the days.

Draft saved Draft deleted