1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Montana Standard will now tell who posted old comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 30, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Would be funny if it turned out the biggest troll was Brent Musburger.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I have a problem with this.

This is so typical of newspapers being fucking cheap. .... In this situation too fucking cheap to get software that will keep the old user names anonymous.

Inevitably, someone will get burned by this and probably lose their fucking job or marriage or something, because of the cheap fucks running the paper.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    studthug12, SFIND and Riptide like this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree, and the editor seems to be making the usual excuses but seems more than willing to throw the "noxious" commenters under the bus.

Many folks making comments are horrible, but that doesn't mean you just change your policy afterward.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Would the commenters have any legal recourse to this against the paper,say, if their comments got them fired from their job, because the paper broke the terms of service?

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Fair question but I doubt a judge or jury would side with a snarky asshole anonymous internet poster.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is horseshit. You can't change the rules like that.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Moral of the story: Don't be a fucking asshole (nor a coward) and you should be OK.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You know, it's like the policy we have here. We may look harshly at someone for saying something stupid but we have a "No outing" policy for a reason. What if ownership suddenly IDed everyone of us.

The "don't be an asshole" lesson doesn't cut it. The policy was for comments to be anonymous and retroactively changing that should be criminal.

Doc Holliday and SnarkShark like this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good thing there's no wingnuts running loose up there in Montana. Otherwise it could get messy.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've got something like 10k posts on here under an anonymous handle... but honestly, I'm not sure there's been a single one I wouldn't attach my name to.

I'm not sure I'm entirely OK with what the Montana paper is doing, but don't be an asshole just because you think you're anonymous. It's not that hard. The semi-anonynimity of the net has really crippled public discourse.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. With 2,000 posts, I'm probably considered a lurker here, but there's nothing I've ever said on this board in 10 years that I wouldn't say to your face.

Draft saved Draft deleted