1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread: The league tries to hide its horrible officiating

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 1, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pete Morelli's crew so badly butchered the 49ers-Cardinals game last week that they've been removed from the Colts-Steelers Sunday night spot. They haven't been benched, though; they're just going to be on a game where the world can't see their incompetence.

Pete Morelli's Referee Crew Pulled from Colts/Steelers After Errors in Cardinals/49ers

Feels like last weekend was some sort of new low (or at least recognition of such) on how bad the officiating is. There was a crucial, game-changing blown call in damn near close to every game. It's hurting the entertainment value of the product, for sure.

As for the games, Carolina seems awfully low at -7 in New Orleans. No respect for the Dabbers. Seattle at Minnesota (pick 'em) looks like a good game; Arizona (-5 1/2) always has a rough time with St. Louis; and we can all avoid this thread between the hours of 8:30 p.m. and midnight EST so as to contain the Steeler contagion.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Dabbers?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And everyone thought the replacement officials were the problem...

4. LongTimeListener

Don't tell me you haven't heard about how Cam is destroying sportsmanship and civility by dabbing.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, I missed all that. What's that, his dance?

6. LongTimeListener

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You start with the "what is a catch?" bs and you go from there... The officiating is breathtakingly bad, and I have never been one to dwell on refs.

Watch Mike Hogan's (non)catch for the Bills last week - grabs it, takes four steps, fumbles it, and falls on the fumble. Ruled incomplete.

How about this for a catch:
    Control of the ball
    Two feet (or a knee) in bounds

Who on earth decided to expand the rule book by the size of the US tax code to define a catch? Its got Goodell written all over it.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I guarantee you the definition of a catch has virtually zero to do with the commissioner.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I know the catch rule, as applied to Calvin Johnson et al wasn't always in place. When did the league switch to the "Calvin Johnson" rule?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head, wasn't it the "Bert Emanuel Rule?" Like from the '90s?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Morelli is way way way way the hell out of his league now. He's 64 years old now. (second oldest behind Hochuli)
    Time and speed are catching up to Pete quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted