1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

We started to discuss this on the other thread, but this is from the story:

And in an official statement the next day, Chicago police said McDonald "refused to comply with orders to drop the knife and continued to approach the officers." The video, however, showed McDonald walking down the street, away from officers as Van Dyke opened fire.

Do we agree with this?

I certainly don't think it is incontrovertible, which is how it is being worded now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy that's sure how I saw it.

Anyway, very interesting on the dismissal. I guess the NYT op-ed packed a wallop. I know the writer used to be at the University of Chicago, but is he well-known enough in the city that his voice alone would carry that much weight?

It appears Rahm is taking the "everybody should go" message as "everybody but Rahm should go."

4. Dick Whitman

I think that the Sun-Times cover called for his job today, too. That probably had a lot more impact here, to be honest, although it sounds like the decision was already made.

I talked about this on the other thread, but, to me, it appears that he's stumbling toward the fence, on his way past and away from the officers. But then he appears to make a fatal mistake, moving back toward the center line and toward the group of officers. Almost immediately, Van Dyke opens fire on him.

Van Dyke's defense attorney in the Tribune today said something along the lines that he did what he was trained to do, so I think that will be the likely defense, that as soon as Van Dyke saw him move a single inch back toward the officers, he fired, and, in doing so, he was doing his job.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lol. Top cop out, Rahm stays.

6. Dick Whitman

Well, sure. But who is going to fire Rahm? It sucks to be the poor bastard who was appointed, not elected. But that's how it goes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a pretty subtle "fatal mistake."

You're saying police are trained to unload their weapon on someone who doesn't display a weapon but who possibly veers an inch in their direction?

And you wonder why Alma and others thinks cops should be disarmed?

8. Dick Whitman

He is a brilliant, brilliant man, and all he deems should be carried out, without question.*

* He gave me my best grade in law school.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

That's what the defense attorney is saying, not me. (Also: He did display a weapon.)

I'm saying that I don't think it's incontrovertible fact that he was "walking down the street, away from the officers." Van Dyke showed up. He hopped out of the car, gun drawn. He knew, I presume, that this was a suspect with a weapon, a knife. I would guess he was being warned not to approach. Van Dyke saw him move in his direction. Boom.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Rahm is a fucking snake. Just oozes sleaze.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You don't have to be cynical to believe that Emanuel and the lesser city fathers were involved in covering this up as long as possible. So the firing is dangerous if the firee starts making that charge.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Which is why he should stay in office.

Draft saved Draft deleted