1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Souljah > William Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Nov 29, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Q: Do you think your writing is superior to Shakespeare?

A: Why not? Is it wrong for an African person being superior to a European? It does not matter to me or how much reverence the name has. African people are always caught up in an inferiority complex and I do not have one.

Sister Souljah talks about her work and why her books are superior to Shakespeare

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's a name I hadn't heard in 20 years.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Shakespeare? What makes him so good, because he was from England?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She's kidding, right? The writer of the Q&A just didn't get sarcasm, right?

No? Just one of the most ignorant attempts to play the race card ever? Got ya.

Check back in 400 years and see if even one person remembers anything she wrote. Given that relatively few know about her work now, I'm betting that doesn't go well for her. Crap like this is just so annoying because it makes a mockery of real racial issues.

Somebody needs to explain this to her. This isn't about black and white. This is about work that stands the test of time and stuff nobody has heard of even while the author is still with us.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Her writing is Greek to me.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll say it: Shakespeare sucks.

Vombatus, Stoney and SpeedTchr like this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jealousy is the green-eyed monster.

8. outofplace

Thou roguish swag-belled nut-hook! Thou infecious spur-galled clack-dish! Thou tottering earth-vexing ratsbane! Thou goatish hasty-witted varlet! Though gleeking urchin-snouted mumble-news!

(See what you did? Now you've got me playing with Shakespeare insults again!)

9. outofplace

A sentence we could not write without Shakespeare. (Green-eyed is among the many words and phrases he is credited with inventing).

I kid MC, but I certainly get people not liking Shakespeare. The man would always write 100 words when four or five would do. But just the impact of his work alone is undeniable. There is yet another movie based on his work coming out next month (Though I'll be waiting for it to come out on Redbox)

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She'll always have the lede-in to the iconic song and video, one of the best of any genre the last 25 years.

This is Sister Souljah
    Public Enemy, Security of the First World, and all allied forces
    Are traveling west to head off a white supremacy scheming
    To destroy the national celebration of Martin Luther Kings birthday
    Public Enemy believes that the powers that be in the states of New Hampshire and Arizona
    have found psychological discomfort in paying tribute to a black man who tried to teach white people
    the meaning of civilization. Good luck brothers, show 'em what you got ...

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's also nothing wrong with her thinking that her work is superior. It is if she thinks it is.

I think the black inferiority complex thing is a whole other thing worthy of discussion. I'd actually like to see Whitlock write about that at length.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She certainly isn't the be-all and end-all.

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted