1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Nov 25, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOPDhoZH91g

Thoughts?

New album on Jan. 14 is confirmed.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

High Hopes tracklisting:

1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) - featuring Tom Morello
    2. Harry's Place * - featuring Tom Morello
    3. American Skin (41 Shots) - featuring Tom Morello
    4. Just Like Fire Would (Chris J. Bailey) - featuring Tom Morello
    5. Down In The Hole *
    6. Heaven's Wall ** - featuring Tom Morello
    7. Frankie Fell In Love
    8. This Is Your Sword
    9. Hunter Of Invisible Game * - featuring Tom Morello
    10. The Ghost of Tom Joad - duet with Tom Morello
    11. The Wall
    12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) - featuring Tom Morello

hmmm. Three covers and two remakes on a 12-song album. (Presumably 'The Wall' is not a Pink Floyd tribute version.)

And it appears Morello is now an all-but-official member of the ESB. To put it kind of baldly, that leaves both Van Zandt and Lofgren with not that much to do.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

The talking points per Bruce, for what it's worth, are that this album is a collection of what he feels are some of the best non-issued tracks from the last decade or so.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A great live version of GOTJ with Morello from the Magic Tour was already released a few years ago (along with Danny's last performance of Sandy). 41 Shots is 13 years old and was already released on LINYC and I hate Dream Baby Dream. I like High Hopes and have liked what I heard of The Wall

I'll of course buy it and over-analyze every song, but not encouraged.

As to Morello/SVZ/Nils, it was pretty clear over the past few tours that Steven has basically given up on stage except to sing harmony on a couple of songs and to help Bruce when it is Stump the Band time. Nils is almost a tragic figure at times, willing to cash the checks and be content with his one big solo a night as Bruce plays lead on everything. Bruce is obviously energized by Morello and I think he may go full time next tour.

5. Starman

I think it would be awesome and also boost Bruce's "one-for-all/all-for-one" team-spirit mythology if he would throw Nils and Steven one song per show.

Some of the old Little Steven songs like 'Under The Gun,' 'Out of the Darkness' and 'Undefeated (Everybody Goes Home)' actually fit in thematically, too.

6. Starman

Which basically makes it another "Tracks" album.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I knew I heard it somewhere, but couldn't remember what tour it was on.

8. Webster

Bruce is putting out a River box set similar to what he did for BTR and Darkness. I guess my Hanukkah present has been selected.

He also posted an unreleased song on www.brucespringsteen.net

9. Starman

Well, unreleased since 1980.
    I thought I read somewhere on some Springsteen message board in early-mid summer that he had most of another (new) album ready to go and it was supposed to come out a couple months before/ after The River reissue. So I suppose if that had any truth at all, a new record would probably come out in the spring, presumably with some concert action to follow in the summertime.

10. Webster

"Party Lights" -- a little Point Blank and a little of his added verse to Jersey Girl. I like this one -- somewhere in between the freewheeling outakes of that era and the heavier stuff which made The River.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This melody, if you can call it that, needs a better hook. The song just rambles along aimlessly.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is that his wedding coat?

Draft saved Draft deleted