1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Chicago: 'Safe spaces'? We don't need no stinkin' 'safe spaces'!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Refreshing.

“It is not the proper role of the University to attempt to shield individuals from ideas and opinions they find unwelcome, disagreeable, or even deeply offensive.

"The university’s fundamental commitment is to the principle that debate or deliberation may not be suppressed because the ideas put forth are thought by some or even by most members of the university community to be offensive, unwise, immoral, or wrong-headed. It is for the individual members of the university community, not for the university as an institution, to make those judgments for themselves, and to act on those judgments not by seeking to suppress speech, but by openly and vigorously contesting the ideas that they oppose.”

Chicago School of Free Speech

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't read the whole article behind the paywall, but I like the part you posted.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oops. That happened to me this morning, too. I think if you Google the story instead of following the link, you can read it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty ridiculous that we still have so much trouble embracing the enlightened liberal views that were being hashed out pretty well in the 1700s.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The most prestigious of all "safe spaces" is university tenure. Joyce Carroll Oates.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted