1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big boy job in Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fran Curci, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I assume Free Press will replace Gene Myers in some fashion. What's the deal, as Jim Harbaugh would say?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Bummer. Going by the topic thread, I thought a restaurant job was in the offing.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Oh man. I sooooooooooooo miss the Shoney's Big Boy all-you-can-eat late night breakfast buffet. Damn. I don't know whether to thank you for bringing back the memory or curse you for reminding me what I'm missing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Late night? Crap. I missed out!

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This thread is not exactly trending. A few years ago, if this kind of job opened, there'd be huge speculation about who might get it, what it might pay, how to maintain or improve the section, etc. Now, just a couple of jokes (which is fine). Do you think this is because fewer people are posting here or just lack of interest in a job market that is so depressing?

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The first thing you said. Several of the more active posters these days aren't in the industry and it gets harder and harder to speculate the more removed you are.

It's now been eight years since I left Detroit. I got no clue.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Both. I don't think a lot of people are comfortable moving for any newspaper job these days. Too unstable.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

There are fewer people posting here. There is also less interest in any newspaper job. Both.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's also Detroit.
    Although you could live like a Roman Caesar on a good salary and in a reasonably speaking good part of Detroit.

Draft saved Draft deleted