1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Spotlight"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen it yet? It's terrific, although it may have worked even better as a miniseries, with space for more character development for the ensemble. Even though I "despise journalism," I wanted to stand up and cheer for the reporters at several points, though it's not a big "moments" movie. They actually mostly get it right, how these stories are developed.

Even beyond the Globe vs. the diocese, though, it's about battling powerful institutions, and that battle nearly brought me to tears several times because I know how destructive that is, especially in this case. And it's the subtle manipulation of powerful institutions at work. No one is killed. No one is threatened overtly. It's so realistic, which is why it's powerful.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. That cast is pretty great.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ruffalo? How many indignantly passionate monologues does he have in this one?

Looking forward to it.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He stays mad.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Weird that the star of Ray Donovan is in it.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ruffalo plays my friend and former Phoenix colleague Mike Rezendes. Based just on the trailers, he does a very good job of catching Mike's mannerisms and vocal style. Pretty awesome, Mike, to be portrayed by the Hulk.

cranberry likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

At the risk of SPOILERS ...

Ruffalo is great portraying someone just boiling over to get this story. He has a scene late that will earn him some award nominations where he really gets emotional about it. In a lesser movie, the composite character would reveal that he, too, was abused, and I kept waiting for the revelation. But no. He just wants to break this story that needs to be broken because it's the right fucking thing to do. We all understand that feeling.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Gonna see it this evening ... as I noted on the Movie thread. Trailer looked great and several of my former colleagues gave it props.

9. Dick Whitman

One of my favorite themes in it is how often the big story is right under our noses, sometimes already in print, often buried somewhere.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, I know there's a big story I blew (Ric Kuhn point shaving at BC) that was right under my nose and I missed it for the reasons you cited (PS: Pierce was my co-author for the story). I'll bet nobody spends a career in the business without it happening. Imagination is the rarest of human gifts.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait, you despise journalism?

12. Dick Whitman

That's what a fellow poster says.

Draft saved Draft deleted