1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Check out the URL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's sort of like the modern-day dummy copy. You think no one's ever going to see it, or that it could be changed in a flash and no one would ever know. Not so much.

I worked for a league website and we once had an iffy URL (not as bad as the above) that we needed to make disappear. Was a huge hassle that involved calls to our back-end guys, webhosts, etc. We were a lot more careful after that.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Really? For our site it's a simple as deleting the post.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's an issue with Gannett's web platform, which is Presto. They also had the same issue with Saxotech.

Basically ... the URL can be tweaked by anyone. Whenever a web headline is changed, it spits out a new URL -- everything is the same except the web head. This allows stories to get some benefit from SEO by also including the current headline, at least that's how I understand it, while also allowing the old headline to drift back to that same story. What it means is the portion of the URL that contains the head can be changed to anything your heart desires, and still work.

I read somewhere that the Tennessean said someone -- a reader, not a staffer -- played with the URL and then sent it out on social media where it picked up steam.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Do you use WordPress? Because that's their default, I think.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Yes. And now that I think of it (as I'm sure you know), you can also change the url at anytime on the top of the post page, which I've done.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

That is no longer the case. Once a story is published, the URL stays as is. Before the story is live online, however, it's open season to anyone in-house who wants to fool with the file. The outside world can't change it... as far as I know.

BrendaStarr likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just did it five minutes ago, so I know it's still an issue.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I look forward to the day when 1100 Broadway is burned to the ground. | Figuratively speaking, of course.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It said this:

tennessean.com/ story/news/politics/2015/11/17/can-you-believe-this-asshole/75936660/

Draft saved Draft deleted