1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Flutie's parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

While I can't imagine losing both your parents in one day, I have always found these stories to be incredibly romantic. As Flutie said, you can die of a broken heart. If I am lucky enough to have my wonderful wife in my life for over 50 years I would want to die immediately after her if she went first.

BDC99 and BTExpress like this.
  4. ringer

ringer Active Member

omg. That's beyond devastating. It's horrifying enough to lose one parent. Then when you lose the last one you have, a whole new depth of grief takes over.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"They died doing what they loved: each other."

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, can't even imagine. Losing my mother about 25 years after losing my father was difficult enough.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it either. The only thing that comes to mind for me to is Teddy Roosevelt losing his first wife due to complications of giving birth, and his mother on the same day.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have personal connections to two similar stories:

1. My great-great grandmother died in the mid-1930s. My great-grandfather (her son-in-law) was walking into town on a very cold day to make the funeral arrangements and caught pneumonia. He died a few days later. So my great grandmother lost her mother and husband within a few days of each other.

2. The other involves a guy who runs a popular college football fan site on the beat I used to work. About 6 or 8 years ago, his son-in-law was killed in a motorcycle accident. His wife was driving over to her daughter's house to comfort her and was killed in a separate wreck. So his daughter lost her mother and husband on the same day.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jesus, I can't imagine the amount of therapy you'd need to get through that second one.

I'd never heard the Roosevelt story before.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

God Bless you and your family, Doug...

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

As heartbreaking as it is, I'm amazed just by the sheer statistical improbability of it all.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm kind of amazed at the lack of details in every story I've seen. They all look cribbed off of social media with few details about the ages of his parents, or why his dad was in the hospital.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted