1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Details

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 18, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was thinking you meant in a broader sense.

Big Circus, HC and Liut like this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I have a 5-year subscription. Will they reimburse.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Tough to say. They aren't releasing any details.

Big Circus likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't know what it became in later years, but when it started about 20 years ago, it had eclectic content that you didn't see in other magazines, such as a guy getting piercings all over and describing them. He said the nipple piercing hurt the worst, way worse than the Prince Albert or the tongue. And it was a review in Details, along with one in Esquire, that prompted me to buy a first edition Infinite Jest when it came out, one of my favorite book purchases ever.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That would be a d_b.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I pierced my nipples during the New Mexico days and yeah, brutal pain.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Can you offer some details about this?

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Whoa, shit. Careful here. He might post photos. Cue the bear.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

For me, it never set itself apart from GQ, so it makes sense Conde would shut it down. Surprised it took this long.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate. The world needs to know what kind of down coat Zack Efron will be wearing this winter.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I was younger, I saw myself publishing magazines as my life's work. I loved them, especially when they did a great job of figuring out an audience and staying true. I am basically the guy who fell in love with making horseshoes, just as Henry Ford was starting his assembly line.

About 50 staffers from Details are without jobs at the end of the year. Even though Details is being folded into GQ, GQ is also losing 7 people due to budgeting. On the women's side, the ad sales team from Self is being canned, and Self is being folded into Glamour. What a tough business, even if it is even remarkable that these titles held onto the circulation they have as long as they have.

This is the second time Details was folded. The first time was about 15 years ago, but they brought it back a half year later. I don't think that is happening again.

Draft saved Draft deleted