1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andruw Jones: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Wondering because of the news that he wants to try to play in MLB this year. Can't imagine he makes it back, but he's got an interesting case. 434 homers, average OPS over 800 (including his decline), and a legitimate GOAT argument defensively at a premium position. On the other hand, he was basically done at 30. I doubt he'll even make it to a second year, but I think he's got a decent case.

GODDAMMIT WHY CAN'T I EDIT A THREAD TITLE

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

This has to be a DB of DW.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is no Miguel Cabrera in the all-important category of fatness gained during a playing career. But he put up a nice round number.

Big Circus likes this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

His decline also seemed more to be with him just getting fat, so have to say no. He was a phenom, a freak, man child when he began his career. Cabrera was the same and also got fat, but never had blazing speed and superb defensive skills. With the weight Cabrera even increased hos power and offensive production.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You can edit a thread title in the first day or so.
    Look for small Thread Tools (I think) menu in upper right of the white area.

Big Circus likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My instinct was to say no way to this, as I tend to have a stricter definition of what a Hall of Famer should be, but looking back at his stats it does make an interesting case. He had a great run from 2000 to 2006, hitting more than 30 home runs in all but one of those seasons (and 51 home runs in 2005) plus having more than 100 RBIs in five of those seasons. I believe he also finished second in MVP voting in the year he hit 51 homers and has a collection of Gold Gloves.

But the fall after that stretch was pretty steep. I just don't think the hot start he had and that seven-year stretch should be enough to put him in. And this is a Braves fan speaking that wouldn't mind seeing another Atlanta A enshrined.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Actually, the Thread Tools menu doesn't go away. So a thread creator can always edit the title (or add a poll).

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, sure. But those seasons aren't that impressive in the context of the era, other than the season he finished second in the MVP voting. The highest he ever finished other than that was eighth. He's Hall of Very Good offensively, if that. But the defense. Oh, man. The defense. My instinct is that he's a Hall of Famer, but I need to put more thought into it.

I liked him on the White Sox the one season he was here. He had a decent later-career bounce-back season.

9. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Dude, he was not good/verging on bad-to-terrible when he was with the White Sox.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

.341 OBP.

486 SLG.

19 home runs in 107 games.

He had a 120 OPS+ with the White Sox that season. In his first 10 full seasons in the majors, he topped 120 just four times.

You think they'd take that production now from someone?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Question: In his prime and compared to the rest of the league was Jones better than his 1980s predecesor, Dale Murphy?

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I hadn't really considered the context and era of this offensive numbers, so that's an interesting point. But if we are going to discount those but not totally ignore them, then the strength of his argument would be his defense during that stretch. And that defense significantly dropped off after he left the Braves and put some pounds on.

Are there many position players in the Hall whose main argument is his defense? I'm honestly asking because I'm sure there are minds here with more historical knowledge than me when it comes to baseball. Maybe Ozzie Smith?

Draft saved Draft deleted