1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't mean who gets the best stories. I don't mean who's the best reporter. I mean - who do you think, when it comes down to it, has a sheer ability to write great sentences, choose the right words and get their point across even if you don't agree with their point?

The five best in journalism/non-fiction/essay writing

The five best overall, in any field. (Which could include the above.)

Note: this is not "oh, I like their politics and I agree with them." This is who you think really knows how to write.

Go.

2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

The five remaining good writers who haven't been bought out/laid off/sent packing and who haven't given in to all the various dumb initiatives disguised as serving the reader.

3. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

If I see Charlie Pierce's name on a story, I usually will read it.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I can't think right now, but from those amongst us, I vote Double Down. Wish he could remember his password and quit changing userids though.

Xanadu was good and still does interesting stuff off the beaten path.

Moddy. Because he bitch slaps us with words and likes Beamer.

KYsw, because he's a great guy, my first Secret Santa exchange recipient, and he's buying a house.

Spike. Because I had a few beers with him and his wife in Baltimore after the riots, and they trusted me not to kill them. We did meet in broad daylight though.

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I love Jonathan Abrams.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I sat down to answer your question, Alma. Couldn't do it.

Maybe I'm by myself on this, but don't have enough time to "read for fun" as much as I'd like. So, most of my reading is sports-related and I really value the true reporters -- the men and women who grind it out with the great notes columns. Jon Heyman's baseball column is so good. Jeff Passan and Jonah Keri have a great ones, too. Wojnarowski is spectacular. Zach Lowe is the best "on-field breakdown" reporter since Paul Zimmerman.

The Boston Globe's Fluto Shinzawa does an excellent one for hockey.

I value that kind of sport-wide reporting. Wish there was more of it.

Liut likes this.
  7. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

It's not just that I used to work with him, but I enjoy reading Gregg Doyel. He's been on a roll the last couple of years.

8. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

I don't always agree with Passan, but he always has at least an interesting take on a subject.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He spits hot fire!

TyWebb likes this.
  11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

In no particular order, Dan Jenkins, Scott Ostler, Frank Deford, Jim Murray, Tony Kornheiser.

12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Not necessarily disputing -- just asking a question.

Does he demonstrate a little more subject depth than on PTI, meaning something outside the world of NFL QBs -- particularly Tom Brady -- and the occasional foray into the narrative that drives the corrupt college football world?

Draft saved Draft deleted