1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriott to buy Starwood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 16, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good news for all of you with lots of Marriott points:

Marriott International said on Monday that it had agreed to buy Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide for $12.2 billion in cash and stock, creating the world’s largest hotel company.

Under the terms of the deal, Marriott will pay $72.08 a share in cash and stock for Starwood, whose brands include Westin, the W, Sheraton and St. Regis. Starwood shareholders would own 37 percent of the combined company.
    The combined Marriott and Starwood company would have more than 5,500 owned or franchised hotels with 1.1 million rooms around the world, and would have posted more than $2.7 billion in fee revenue for the 12 months ended Sept. 30.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/17/business/marriott-to-buy-starwood-hotels.html?_r=0

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have a lot invested in Starwood points. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Starwood is my program too.

Just used a shitload of 'em, but still have a bunch, and still collect them with my credit card use.

I'd think it will be a good thing. Marriott's program is considered one of the best. I don't think they'll water it down, or do anything to upset the loyal Starwood customers they want to acquire.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Even though I haven't traveled regularly in years, I have about 50,000 points left in each program. But they're facing expiration so saving them until the purchase closes probably won't work.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The deal itself is a take under, not a take over. They got Starwood at a 4 percent discount to its value at the close of markets on Friday. Both have seen revenues declining the last few years -- lots of reasons, but I think the rise of AirBnB hasn't helped. It probably makes sense. Marriott dominates in the U.S., and Starwood gets 2/3 of its revenue outside of the U.S.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was a Marriott guy throughout my sportswriting career, then went to work for a company that had a sponsorship deal with IHG so I've been a Holiday Inn guy ever since. Always missed Marriott though, and if this means those points are even more valuable, dang.

Draft saved Draft deleted