1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HUD seeking public housing smoking ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Nov 12, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

New federal rules could ban smoking in public housing, and some aren't happy about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/13/n...-surprise-to-some-public-housing-tenants.html

I'm not not looking for those on public assistance to be in sackcloth and ashes, but some self-awareness would be nice.

“That’s your own home; that’s your own kingdom,” said James Sharpe, 62, perched atop one of the green benches outside Melrose Houses in the Bronx where he sometimes smokes. “You should be able to smoke in your own kingdom.”

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Skynet.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just make the damn things illegal already. Stop pussyfooting around it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're talking about a lot of lost tax revenue.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know. I just wish they'd admit they don't actually give a shit about people's health. Not with all that money involved.

YankeeFan and bigpern23 like this.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you look at from the point of view that the housing is the property of the government and the tenants are only their temporary, you don't want smoke f-ing up the carpet for the next tenants, then I agree with this.

If the second hand smoke from one unit is harming neighbors, then I agree with this.

If it's from the point of view that smoking is bad for you and we are telling you what to do, I'm not so cool with this.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's also the point of view that if the tenants cannot afford to pay a full rent, they shouldn't be able to afford to pay for cigarettes.

old_tony likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the reaction when they evict some poor family because the smoker(s) in the house refuse to comply. Oh and won't that be priceless if those evicted don't go peacefully? Why, I can just imagine all the social media outrage!

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. I waste a lot more money than I should on vices, but if I was on the government's dime, I would probably understand them frowning on me wasting my money on such things. I have sympathy for those living in poverty, but this doesn't bother me one bit.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which would be easily made up and then some if you legalize pot and sports gambling.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Privately owned apartment complexes can ban smoking. Hotels do

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Phones, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted