1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer guys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Unless it allows users to control temperature and fermentation times based on gravity, it will be shit.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pico gets a hairpiece, now he is a beer maker.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is one of those things for guys that home brew and have money to blow. I would never (be allowed to) spend that much (cause my wife would kill me).

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Somebody else unveiled something similar about two years ago.

I love beer, but I don't get the appeal of this.

People who are interested in brewing their own beer do it because they enjoy.

Some of us try it and decide it's more work than fun. Granted, I brewed a few batches back in 1989, but even now it seems like too much work.

I get to try a lot of different beers. I've got no interest in making it at home, even in a simpler process, and the people who like to brew their own wouldn't be interested in this.

Rather than a Keurig, this seems to me to be more like a SodaStream. I just do not understand the appeal.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My company paid for an afternoon at a local brewpub a few weeks ago, including free beers and tours with the brewmaster.

First thing brewmaster says on tour: "Any homemade beer makers here?" No hands went up. "Good. They ask the dumbest questions."

As for Keurig, I've been reading a book called "Caffeinated" about caffeine consumption worldwide and how it's consumed. One chapter was all about Green Mountain Coffee Co. and how it invented Keurig. According to the book, if you had invested $1,000 when the company went public 30-odd years ago, you'd have $20 million today.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Green Mountain didn't invent Keurig. Three guys started the thing and gradually sold out to Green Mountain. The man responsible for the idea and early versions of the product ended up selling his stake for $50,000 about a decade before the machines became widely popular.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Seems pretty shitty by the brewmaster to say that since he was probably one of those "dumb question asking" homebrewers once.

9. cjericho

Think because Keurig is more successful they hope to be that, but would think SodaStream is a more likely comparison.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "more likely comparison"?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. cjericho

Well soda stream involves a little mixing. Keurig is just dropping a cup in the slot and pressing the button. Has anyone bought the Pico yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted