1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Marco Rubio's success in last night's debate should terrify women'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rubio is an "extremist," Slate says, because he "has been very clear that he believes that when a woman is impregnated through rape or incest, the state should force her to carry the pregnancy to term. The fact that the mainstream Republican favorite holds this position is a sign of just how far right the GOP has moved."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto..._abortion_beliefs_are_now_gop_mainstream.html

That's an interesting take.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're going to hear a lot more of it too.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

TINMHITTMAL

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am completely and utterly pro-abortion. Its killing, and I accept this.

If you aren't accepting of the abortion act, then Rubio's position should be the default position.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Marco Rubio's success in last night's debate might terrify the Democrats, according to former Obama senior advisor Dan Pfeiffer:

Democrats: Any GOPers have right stuff to win? (Opinion) - CNN.com

The money quote on Rubio: “There is no question that Rubio is the Republican that Democrats fear most.”

BTW, I love this part of that piece:

"No Democrat anywhere has spent any time worrying about Ben Carson becoming president of the United States. I won't waste your time or mine on him."

As YF might say, LOL. Maybe they should be worried.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

"But when you consider that Rubio believes in a nationwide program of coerced motherhood—which is what an abortion ban is—his words take on a slightly different cast."

Now that...is some sophistry.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Could we stop calling these things "debates"?

The candidates don't really state positions and then defend them against positions put forth by other candidates.

These hodgepodge interview/panel discussions/photo op things more closely resemble what comes out of an NBA team's media day than any real debate I've ever seen.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The GOP is equally worried about Rubio. Really good talker, really agile mind, dubious bona fides on all kinds of fronts.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hmm. Where have I seen that profile before?

doctorquant likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Certainly, the Democrats' fear is that Rubio will run the Obama "Hope and Change" playbook against Hillary -- you're the past, I'm the future -- and it will work again.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't think the Republican establishment is worried about Rubio. I think they're worried about Trump and Cruz, and they'd rather have Bush, but since that ain't going to happen, I'd say they'd be thrilled with Rubio atop the ticket.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm with Oggiedoggie here. PS: Rubio is said to be the winner because the lazy, shallow herd-instinct national political press corps has determined Jeb's not winning, therefore Rubio must be. I am not so sure Trump and Carson don't have more staying power than the conventional wisdom believes.

Draft saved Draft deleted