1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review lays off 153

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I love how, in the midst of all the bad news in the memo, that she's "excited" about the two new digital initiatives. Forget that 153 of you are losing your job. There are great "exciting" initiatives coming up. Sheesh.

Reminds me again of that scene from "Independence Day" when the hippie scientist starts talking about the "exciting" research they've been able to do since the aliens arrived, only to have the president point put that millions of people were dying.

studthug12 likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They have in the past made a point of telling potential applicants that they were safer than other outlets because they produced multiple newspapers. Guess that selling point goes out the window.

4. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

It's bad form to discuss initiatives in the layoffs memo.

But some of these changes were long overdue. Having 675 weeklies and dailies in a tri-county area was not going to work.

In the long run, the T-R's days are probably numbered. It should convert to more of a niche publication and head in that direction.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Has there been an outlet/publication that wrote on of those memos in the appropriate, straight-forward way? I know when my last shop was subject to layoffs, the memo focused mostly on the "exciting" move to digital and how that meant "restructuring the newsroom" and creating "versatile, ambitious" new positions.

I'd love to read one that just said, "This industry is still suffering, and we are suffering with it. Because we can't keep this paper afloat with the current staff, we will be eliminated XX positions in the coming months. It truly sucks and I hate it. I'm sorry."

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The Valley News Dispatch was my hometown newspaper when I was growing up; it did a great job covering its core distribution area. I don't know how things have changed in the 30+ years since I left Western Pa., but I doubt its merger helps much. Very sad news.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit. I wonder how bad sports got hit? Have a number of friends there, including the SE. I interviewed there a number of years ago.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Save the exciting initiatives for the public announcement. For this internal memo, you deliver the news, tempered with some optimism going forward.

But I did not see anything on the 153 layoffs. Do they start today? Tomorrow? Jan. 1?

Nothing like making everyone stress out.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Don't know anyone there in sports, but one of the most talented copy editors I've ever worked with has been there for about 10 years. She's originally from Pittsburgh, and I remember how proud and happy she was when the Tribune-Review hired her.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Should boost SJ.com membership ranks, though. Steelers coverage up the wazoo!

11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I doubt they wait until Jan. 1. One of the shittier moves is cutting people now to avoid the holiday pay.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

But Ty, it's "exciting." I get goosebumps just thinking about digital. I even felt my penis move when I read about it.

studthug12 and TyWebb like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted