1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The neighbors of Area 51

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fascinating read here about a Nevada family that owns the last piece of civilian property within spitting distance of Area 51. It's an old 400-acre mine site that's been in the family since the late 1800s, located six miles from the base, and has at times been bombed, strafed and exposed to radiation and God knows what else from nearby nuclear tests.
    Since the base was built in the 1950s, the family (who now lives in Las Vegas but still owns the land) has increasingly had access restricted and been bullied into giving it up. The latest tactic being used by the Air Force is condemning the property after they were unable to come to an agreement on a sale price. The Air Force offered $5.4 million, the family wanted an unspecified amount that was much higher than that. It's heading to court.
    Great piece, and well worth the time for the historical background and photos alone, especially if you're a plane nerd.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-unlikely-struggle-of-the-family-whose-neighbor-is-a-1741346156

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If I were the landowner, I would include in my demands a right to visit the homestead a few times a year, and be shown the alien bodies.

cjericho likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great read, thanks.

The family should start videotaping any interactions with the government on the property.After all, it's their land.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, everyone knows they moved all the weird stuff from Area 51 to Dugway in Utah.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My favorite part of that story is how the family won't talk about what they see at the base. I'm guessing the government is worried if they put it on the market, George Noory might buy it and start doing Coast to Coast AM from there.

6. Vombatus

Not really true. There is some whacked website claiming things like that though.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering the Air Force has already put them under armed supervision during their visits there, they're probably wisely fearful for their safety if they start blabbing. They might take up permanent residence at Area 51, if you catch my drift.

8. Vombatus

Why doesn't the USAF give them a clearance and a job on base? That would be a bit of a win-win.

Draft saved Draft deleted