1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entire OHL team quits after coaching staff gets fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Crazy story out of Flint, Mich. The entire OHL Flint Firebirds team, after rallying to win a game, quits when the owner, after the game, fired the coaching staff. There are other reports, that the coaches were fired because they weren't giving enough playing time to one of the players, who happens to be the owner's son. Oh, and one of the players who quit ... Was the owner's kid.

Reports: Players from OHL's Flint Firebirds quit after staff gets fired

And here we thought the NFL had a monopoly on crazy owners and dysfunctional franchises.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Quick, somebody call Michael Moore.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The Flint Firebirds are the former Plymouth Whalers, owned by Peter Karmanos until this season. This is the franchise's first year in Flint, and, well....wow.
    It was a proud franchise, with alumni such as Tyler Seguin, James Neal, Stephen Weiss, Justin Williams, and if you go back to the team's inception in Detroit, Bryan Berard and a few others.

Let's see what the commish has in store to fix this...

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Believe me when I say it's a twisted, complete cluster in Flint right now. Some good people and good kids caught in the middle of it.

spikechiquet likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Branch must be losing his mind. The OHL can be a daddy league when your kid is Dylan Hunter, Kerby Rychel or Nick and Marcus Foligno. Mark Burgess saw the blowback in Sudbury with his kid on the team.

Fly, can the Flint owner's kid play?

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Based on my past viewings, I would consider Hakon a fringe junior prospect. People I trust tell me he has been getting decent bottom-pair ice time the past several games (par for the course for an OHL rookie 17-year old D) and Gruden was using him in situations that would be conducive for success (low-stress, against lower line opposition). They also say he has been a pleasant surprise and has been playing OK. But apparently the word on the street is the old man was fuming he wasn't on every PP and PK. Terrible situation across the board.

Some reports have him being traded this morning (separating the kid from the dad team-wise). I heard the OHL Commish was on-hand first thing this morning trying to mediate a solution. The players have been resolute, stating they would not be back until the coaches are reinstated. There was supposed to be a meeting between Branchy and the players at noon but I haven't heard any updates of what, if anything, came out of it.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will say this: it is amazing all the kids walked out together. I will applaud their solidarity. It was my experience that some kids often don't care, aren't good team guys or have their own agenda.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The original plan for this owner was to get a USHL team but that league wanted nothing to do with him. Now we apparently know why. So he bought the OHL team instead (as well as the building in Flint). Guy is loaded. He put millions into the building. Reportedly a billionaire who doesn't give a shit what people think about him or his decisions.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even more amazing, the organ player didn't have to go on a hunger strike to unify them.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Can't play Lady of Spain again, though.

12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Is this Gruden related to the NFL Grudens?

Also, someone invested millions in a Flint building?

Draft saved Draft deleted