1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nieman Fellowship at Harvard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bevo, Nov 8, 2015.

1. bevo

bevo Member

Anybody have any info about this program? Seems like it would be a pretty good opportunity, but I'm guessing it's pretty competitive and would be tough for a copy editor/sports guy working at a non-glamour outlet to land.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Very competitive. My grandma was one of the first women allowed in. It's probably even more competitive now. It probably helps if you have a plan of study that is compelling and unique. My advice would be to find someone who has been through it in your area and pick their brain.

3. KVV33

KVV33 Member

This right here. I don't think Neiman has any hang-ups about taking people from small papers. They do it every year. But the point of the fellowship is you have to show them specifically what you'd study at Harvard that would make you a better journalist, and explain how this would benefit others. That's what they're interested in, a compelling reason for YOU to study at Harvard for free.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The best thing about this program is you'd get to buy a "Boston" hoodie and brag about where you got it.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bevo, I'd advise learning all about all of Harvard's many curricula as you could and seeing what if anything struck your fancy. All of Harvard has very high bullshit detector settings in the admission processes, so it's best to come up with an idea for study first and go from there.
    Don't be abashed. Assess your own strengths as a journalist first and then see where they fit at Harvard. My son had nowhere near the grades to be accepted to Harvard, but he was waitlisted because he had studied standup comedy on his own, and they were, as always looking to recruit Lampoon writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted