1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Inquirer, Daily News, Philly.com to merge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 30, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You should be sending out tons -- to businesses other than newspapers.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

True, but getting around the "Required: x years of experience . . . " can be a tough nut to crack.

Yeah, I can probably DO the job . . . but convincing someone of this without even being able to satisfy a basic requirement in the job description makes it tough for that resume to pass the first screening.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I have tried to do that. I've gone for sports information and media relations. A lot of SID offices say "Experience in a sports information office is REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!" Never mind that press releases, game notes, etc., are the same g--damn thing we do as journalists EVERY DAY.

Sorry for the caps, but you get the idea. :)

4. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Rough day today for journalists, including in the sports department, in Philly:

@MLBURNEY: PMN announces layoffs: 17 employees at Daily News, 17 at Phillydotcom and 12 at Inquirer. @TNGLocal10 reviewing and deciding next steps.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

No names yet but this is tough. Lots of kids employed, especially at Philly.com. Just in time for the holidays. Ugh!!!!!

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

DN Flyers & Phillies beat writers

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not a good day for Philly. Stay strong.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

The entire Daily News copy desk has been layed off.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Very sad, but not surprising. If you're merging, you don't need two copy desks, and the DN is the smaller paper. Didn't take Einstein to see where this was headed.

This whole deal is very depressing. I've done a lot of freelancing for the DN over the years and have a great relationship with a lot of those guys up there. Hope everyone comes out of this OK.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Almost wonder in this case if it's worth not selling the DN as a standalone. Maybe add a quarter to the copy price of the Inquirer and fatten up that paper a bit with a DN section?

Oh, who am I kidding. They'd just kill the DN and save the newsprint. :(

11. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

I can't bring myself to work in sugarcoat journalism.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Try being a copy editor, as opposed to a reporter. Nobody wants to give us a chance

Draft saved Draft deleted